Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
What's going on with the signal?
0Hutch0

In NE Montana there's a town where I can have 4 bars of signal on the phone, but every ~two mins the phone disconnects like there's no service at all, suddenly.  I just push airplane mode on and back off and I reconnect immediately for another ~two mins.  I can do this all day long and it's almost like clock work the way it disconnects me.  Thank goodness I don't live in that area, and just work there and I'm able to connect to wi-fi at work, but it's still a serious pain to deal with.

I know it's not a Verizon tower in that area.  I originally tried calling that service provider about the problem (it's a sort of smaller outfit - not any of these big providers), but they just straight up wouldn't have it, I guess.  They immediately said "call Verizon".  So I did.

I talked to Verizon about this originally on Nov 12.  I then did a text chat about it with them for almost an hour on Nov 20.  And to this day the problem persists in that area.  Just one town over (more like half a town over?), I have no signal issues/problems at all.

Re: What's going on with the signal?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Hello 0Hutch0, we're concerned to learn about your service issues, and we'd love to assist. What are the nearest cross streets, city, and state of the problem area? When did the problem begin? 

UbaldoJ_VZW

0 Likes
0Hutch0

Nov 8th/9th is when the issue began. <The cell tower/service provider in the area... or we'll say "Company Name"> made two Social Media posts:

Nov 8: "<"Company Name"> is experiencing network issues due to an outage from an upstream provider. This may cause issues with <Company Name>Vision, internet connectivity, or accessing certain applications. We will update you with more information as soon as we learn more."

Nov 9: "We were notified by our upstream provider this morning everything is back up and running. If you are still experiencing internet issues please contact our internet trouble department at < 1800 number >"

I suffered through the issue when it first cropped up not knowing what it was about or how long it would last. After a couple days, someone mentioned, or asked, if I saw <Company Name>'s social media post, which I had not, so I went to look for it which is when I saw the above two posts. I thought that was sure interesting because it lined up with my issue when it started.

So on the 12th of Nov I called <"Company Name"> to explain my issue and when they learned I was not a customer of theirs, but rather a Verizon customer, it was clear they weren't going to help me - they said to call Verizon. I did right after I got off the phone with <"Company Name">.

Then on Nov 20th I opened a text support conversation through the Verizon phone app when I was on Main St in Wolf Point, MT. I told the tech an incremental count every single time I lost connection while I was on that tech support conversation. It ended up being like 28? disconnects in roughly an hour? That Verizon tech guy had me reset and check various settings on my phone. Then at one point he mentioned something about resetting or redoing something with the cell tower signal. He said that maybe something on <"Company Name">'s issues or process of fixing those issues messed the signal up. So he tried some kind of refresh of the signal, and the issue persisted. I ended up losing all my blue tooth associations, and all my wi-fi passwords because of the options the Verizon techtook me through on my phone.  I know he was trying to help, and as annoying as that was, I'm willing to play ball to get this problem fixed.

On the 21st I received a text message with the trouble ticket number as part of that text message. The text otherwise said they were looking into this issue. "assigned and being worked" "next update in 24hrs"

Something that peeved me is that on the 20th and on the 22nd I got a text message to this link www.vzw.com/signal which opened a video of a guy telling me about wi-fi calling.  I thought to myself "as if this would suffice as some kind of fix for my problem?"  I don't understand why a company would point to Wi-Fi calling to fix a problem when they are in the business of *cell* phones. If you want me to rely on wi-fi calling, then what do I need the service of Verizon for? Just a really dumb move in my opinion to send me that link twice. The 2nd time Verizon sent me that link, that text message said "The review of your reported service issue is complete. Please click the link to see more details. https://www.vzw.com/signal"

Anyway, this issue happens in the whole heart of Wolf Point, MT for me. It also happens to the South at the county line where it changes from Roosevelt County to McCone County. If I go further South toward Vida, MT, the issue is gone. The cell tower in the Vida, MT area I have no problems with at all.

In the Wolf Point area, if I go up by the gas station on HWY 2 (300 US HWY 2), I show 4 bars on my phone. And even there it disconnects, like clock work, every couple or so minutes. It makes no sense to me.

Tonight I talked to someone in the billing department (I wasn't trying to talk to someone in billing, but I guess the Verizon phone app's prompts for how it can help aren't verbose enough and that's who I ended up getting), and she mentioned her trying to take 30 bucks off my bill for the month because of this issue - which is great.

Tomorrow I will try to call the tech number that the lady in Billing provided to me.  It was too late in the evening, I think, to do that today.

There's a mix of frustration that this issue persists this long, and happiness that someone would look to take something like 30 bucks off my bill.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

0Hutch0, we always want to help in any way possible. So we can work on this with you and your signal, please send us a Private Note. 

JoseL_VZW

0 Likes