Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
What why is the line acces fee "$20/month purchased on device payment"?
tc2013
Novice

On the "L" plan, it says "Plan cost per month, plus $20/month per smartphone purchased on device payment".

What does that mean? 

I had an iphone on contract till September 2017; currently paying $40 monthly for the device on top of the old-plan-data cost.

Does it mean i couldn't switch tot he 8GB plan? (with $20 per month)?  That $40 will stick with me till September?  Is there a way to get out of it (so that i can swtich to the $20 per month instead of $40)?

8 GB for $70/mo.

Unlimited Talk & Text
Carryover Data

Safety mode

Data Boost $15/1GB

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: clarification for "$20/month purchased on device payment"?
mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

The $20 is the out of contract line fee.   If you have a contract for a discounted phone purchase, the line fee will remain $40 until the contract expires.   If you purchaed with device payments the line fee is $20 and the device payment is included on the bill..

there is no way out.  One way or another all customers must pay for their phones. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

The $20 is the out of contract line fee.   If you have a contract for a discounted phone purchase, the line fee will remain $40 until the contract expires.   If you purchaed with device payments the line fee is $20 and the device payment is included on the bill..

there is no way out.  One way or another all customers must pay for their phones. 

0 Likes
tc2013
Novice

yes, which I had since learned the lesson (on my wife's iPhone6s) and so i have paid in full to get my iPhone7+.

Give and take, i would rather have contract-free flexibility than discounted-phone.

It's a Verizon-store-front mishap few years ago that i wasn't got explained to the fullest on such disclosure.

0 Likes
Xyvis

Your $40 line access is due to a contract. But here's the thing people seem to not realize, whether you sign up for a device payment or a contract (contract is more expensive by a slight bit over 2 years) you are essentially still tied to Verizon during the duration of the device payment plan.

With contracts you had to pay an early termination fee, with the device payment you have to pay the remaining smartphone balance.

It's the same game, they just use different words.

0 Likes
tc2013
Novice

so, i'm still not clear about the :

"$20/month purchased on device payment"?

For the phone i bought in full-price, out-of-pocket, paid-in-full.... Do I pay $20/month in the plan? Or do I pay different amount?  since my paid-in-full iPhone7+ doesn't qualified as "on device payment", right?

Please suggest.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

If you paid full retail, you have neither device payment or contract and your line fee is $20. 

Contracts are not full price purchases, which many customers did not realize for years. 

0 Likes