Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: Early next week, we’ll be merging the current Fios and Wireless Communities into the all new Verizon Community! Beginning the evening of Sunday 12/4, both Communities will be placed in read-only mode. You’ll still be able to visit the Communities and browse content, but login will be disabled. On the afternoon of Monday 12/5, all users will be able to log into the new Verizon Community. We expect the new Community to be fully functional the morning of Friday 12/9. Additional details can be found in the Announcements board and under Featured Topics!
Whatsapp International voice call...
KNSF5050

I recently switched from Sprint after 16 years. Unfortunately I am running into several issues. My wife extensively used whatsapp for international calls. We had no problems with Sprint. But Verizon is charging us for international calls even though these calls are made using whatsapp . We have unlimited plan. Can anyone explain ?

Labels (1)
Re: Whatsapp International voice call...
johntr_vzw
Verizon Employee

KNSF5050, I'm happy to hear you switched from Sprint to the VZW family! I'm going to help explain why you've seen charges for international calls while using Wi-Fi Calling.

You can use Wi-Fi Calling to make international calls to U.S. numbers completely for free. However, calls to international numbers are still billed at the international per minute rate for that country. You can confirm that by looking at the Wi-Fi Calling FAQ Page: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/wifi-calling-faqs/

If you look at Question #1 and in the 'Pricing Section,' Question #1, the information about international numbers and Wi-Fi Calling is reviewed.

If your wife does need to make a lot of international calls KNSF5050, I'd recommend adding an international calling option for her line. Our Unlimited Together world calling plan for $15.00, gets you unlimited calling to 60 countries, and reduced rates to many others. You can learn more about that Unlimited Together calling plan here: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/international-long-distance-faqs/

I hope you find the information I shared beneficial.

JohnTr_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question, please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MS3104

I am in the exact same situation as you are. We just switched from Sprint last Spring and didn't have any problems until two billing cycles ago when my wife's Whatsapp calls started being charged as international calls. Never once did this happen on Sprint.

Weth
Sr. Leader

This has been reported with every carrier and is a WhatsApp software problem. In certain situations, the call is routed over the cell phone carriers network and not over data. For a good read read the first one front the ATT community. Further below showing this happens with every carrier at times. It does not seem easy to predict. 

https://forums.att.com/t5/Wireless-Billing/Charges-for-international-calls-using-whatsapp-or-facetim...

• https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/147752
  • https://community.verizonwireless.com/t5/My-Verizon/Using-Whatsapp-to-call-incurred-international-roaming-charges/td-p/794048
  • https://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-ii-epic-4g-touch/203110-sprint-charging-whatsapp-international-text.html
  • https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/82iin4/whatsapp_international_call_over_wifi_charged_to/
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

MS3104, we are thrilled to learn that you joined the Verizon Family. The last thing we would ever want is for you and your wife to be billed for using Whatsapp and we want to help you avoid international calling charges. To better assist you, I need to ask you some additional questions. Does your wife turn off the mobile data on her phone when she uses Whatsapp? What is the make and model of the phone she uses?

JacobV_VZW

0 Likes
QW8
When using a special non Verizon app such as (What's app) to make international calls, these apps have to utilize WIFI or some type of internet connection to work. Due to WIFI signals can at times disconnect or go weak, if the user is on a international call during these time, then the call can possibly continue by using the nearest cell phone tower or network. No phone can connect have valid cell phone network service while in airplane mode. These is the reason a customer can still be charged for international calls in spite of using the what's app or any similar app.
0 Likes
MIRZA1

I have the same problem. I called Verizon and I was told that if I make international calls without the WiFi , I’ll be charged for the international calls which doesn’t make any sense because I use my Verizon unlimited data if I don’t have the WiFi . Can anyone please explain ?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

When you are connected to Wi-Fi calling, it makes the phone call originate form the United States regardless of where you are in the world. You can still receive international call charges when using Wi-Fi Calling.

When using third party apps to make an international call, if the app fails to route the phone call through the internet and instead uses our towers, the call would still be an international call made on your phone line. I hope this help clarify international charges and how Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi Calling can play a role! ScottD_VZW

0 Likes
Bajanboy4u

This was exactly the same response I got from VZW last year. I did exactly what I was told to do to avoid the charges. I turned off the cellular data on my iPhone to Whatsapp so that my phone cannot make calls using the app without wifi. Despite that and paying an additional $25 per month to have wifi in my car, I have once again been slapped with a bill for almost $1,000 in long-distance calls. This is REDICULOUS! I am so done with VZW. I've been with this company for close to 20 years and this is my reward.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Hello. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Please keep in mind that we do not control the calls you make through WhatsApp. If you don't want to be charged for calling a landline, or cell phone in another country while in the US, then you need to sign up for a plan that allows it. Please send us a Private Note for further assistance. *Bryan

0 Likes