Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
When An Order Is Put On Credit Hold, Why Don't You Call The Customer
jihunt

I called Customer Service and upgraded my 6S to an iPhone 7. It was put on Credit Hold, by the Fraud Team. Why not call me?

I paid off my current 6S, paid the taxes on the new iPhone 7 and was told it would arrive 2/24. Today, 2/26 I check online and have a notice that it's on Credit Hold. I called Customer Service and they tell me the Fraud Team sees it as a potential fraud. Why?

I've been a customer for nearly 20 years. My accounts paid up. My credit card cleared the buy-out and the taxes. I have a good payment record. I gave the fellow who took the order all my info, including my SSN and I even negotiated the $30 upgrade fee (which its self is ridiculous) Where is the potential flag for fraud? Do scam artist negotiate better rates so the person being ripped off doesn't suffer so much?

And in all of this, no thought to call me and tell me. I have to go online looking for my order to discover the credit hold. No call or email. But, I do get "You've got the new device glow" email. Doesn't that seem a little screwed up?

I appreciate the concern for fraud, but when that sort of issue arrises isn't it reasonable to think I'd get a call? My credit card company calls when they think there is an issue.

The solution from Verizon Customer Service... I was told I have to call the Credit Fraud Team, but they aren't open on Sunday. And no, they will not call me. The option offered was, they would cancel my order, and I can go to a Verizon  Store and get my device because the stores don't have a Credit Fraud Team, so it won't be a problem...Really? That's a work around, not a solution.

I feel a great deal of frustration with Verizon's lack of thinking things through. It seems obvious to me that Verizon has my number, and if the Verizon Fraud Team has a concern that the order was a potential fraud...and they could make the connection that it would be a good idea to check with the customer to insure it was a fraud, OR NOT, because that customer may be expecting the device to arrive. That, would be good customer service. Actually, basic customer service. Good would be solving this problem when I called to figure out where my phone was.

Labels (1)
Re: When An Order Is Put On Credit Hold, Why Don't You Call The Customer
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

I am sorry to learn that your order was put on hold by our Fraud team, jihunt. Orders are audited to prevent fraudulent activity and to ultimately protect our valued customer from any type of fraud. While our Fraud team is not open on Sundays, you can call them directly at 888-483-7200, during their hours of operations from 8am to 8pm. You can also call them online via a secure form at the bottom of this website: https://www.verizonwireless.com/fraud/

I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

jihunt

The question is why didn't YOUR FRAUD TEAM THINK to call me when THEY

decided to inconvenience me? I have no problem with fraud protection. My

bank and credit card copies does this as well, EXCEPT THEY HAVE THE GOOD

SENSE TO BE PROACTIVE AND CHECK WITH ME.

Verizon doesn't have the sense to think their actions through, so it's my

issue to resolve. And, I only discovered it because I went looking. It

could have gone on long, right? Because your "Team" wasn't going to let me

know.

Your response is the same as Customer Service, I need to call your "Team"

(a word that implies some sort of coordinated effort) that I would expect

to center around service to your customers. Where is that here?

Your unhelpful attempt to deflect Verizon's failure to provide an

appropriate alert to the situation only fuels my ire.

On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 7:01 PM, vzw_customer_support <

sprmankalel
Leader

Depending on when you placed the order and when it was marked as fraud.

If it was after regular hours there may not have been an opportunity to contact you.

Plus, with 140+ million subscribers, there may have been a queue in which your name hasn't come to yet.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Sr. Leader

Often it's my CC company that calls me not the business.

0 Likes
jihunt

Okay, AntonioC_VZW, I’ve sort this out for myself.

First, I began my order online and was about to be charged $30 to upgrade my phone from a iPhone 6S to a 7. At that point, I used the Chat to ask “why”, and they referred me to Customer Service.

Customer Service took my order, without charging me $30, and all was good.

Then, I received an email from Verizon saying I had not completed my order in my cart. So, I went online and cancelled it. Subsequently, I received another email from Verizon asking if I wanted to cancel my order. I acknowledged that I did, thinking it was a confirmation of cancelling the online order. Apparently, it was for the order I placed through Customer Service. I’d already received the  "You've got the new device glow" email, so I didn’t think anything of it – shopping cart order cancelled, new device on the way.

When my phone didn’t arrive, I went online to see the status. The My Verizon page said it was being processed, but there was a Credit Hold.

Then things really went sideways. I used the Chat service, they couldn’t explain the credit hold, and referred me to Customer Service who told me I would have to call the Fraud Team, but they weren’t open on Sunday, and they wouldn’t call me.

By the way, I tried the Fraud Team number Sunday evening and they answered. They told me the order had been cancelled. Then, things made sense.

Why your system said the order was “Being Processed” and on “Credit Hold” instead of “Cancelled”, I have no idea. And why the Chat service and Customer Service didn’t have the correct status either, just contributed to the confusion.

I apologize for my angry responses, but I also believe this could have been a much less stressful process if the status of the order was clear-“Cancelled”- and your Chat and Customer Service people had proper information.

sprmankalel
Leader

Maybe it would have been less stressful if you just paid the upgrade fee like everyone else. You had 2 orders and that confused the system. Not Verizon's fault.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
jihunt

Do you usually provide such useless insight, sprmankalel? I should pay $30 for no reason because you did?

Sorry, dude. Not helpful.

Ann154
Expert
Expert

To add another customer's perspective, while not every customer enjoys paying more, all existing customers have had an upgrade fee when they purchase a new phone through Verizon Wireless. It doesn't matter if it was at the DPP agreement or the full retail price. I didn't like it when it was originally implemented in April 2012 and I don't care for it now. I also understand it is the nature of this business and I would be hard pressed to find a postpaid carrier without an upgrade fee.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

sprmankalel
Leader

I was just stating a fact. Why do you think you're special and shouldn't pay the fee?

0 Likes