Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
When will Verizon enable wifi calling?
Monstah

I live in a location that has terrible cell coverage with Verizon.  When I initially signed on with Verizon, they had an agreement with AT&T to share towers.  Under that agreement I had no trouble, but immediately following the dissolving of that agreement my cell coverage has been in the toilet.  When I am at home, I have to go outside for people to hear me clearly which is a problem considering that I gave up my land line.  Ever since the release of iOS 8, I have been reading tech articles that wifi calling is coming to Verizon.  I see other carriers begin to sign on board with this, but Verizon keeps dragging their feet.  I don't want to go to another carrier, but I feel that I am left with no choice.  I can't afford to waste $250 per month on services that I cannot use.  I don't know if people from Verizon monitor these discussion posts, but someone needs to pass the message up the chain to enable wifi calling.  Otherwise, loyal customers are going to shop elsewhere.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
Re: When will Verizon enable wifi calling?
Weth
Sr. Leader

Your guess is going to be as good as anyone on here, CS reps included. The initial indiication last fall was "mid 2015". Then more recently the COO from Verizon seemed to back away from that by stating it is not needed or a priority for Verizon. He was non-specific like C levels are good at. If and when it is released, it will be interesting how Verizon handles international wifi calling - like T-mobile which includes it as domestic calls, or like Sprint, which still charge these as international calls.

CupOfLee

Verizon Wireless plans to support Wi-Fi calling in the future. Verizon Wireless customers get unparalleled access to America's largest and most reliable 4G LTE network - now with XLTE. We've doubled the 4G LTE bandwidth in cities coast to coast, with greater capacity and faster peak data speeds than before, you can get an enhanced 4G LTE experience with an XLTE-ready device.

Some carriers haven't made the investments in network coverage and capacity, and may need to utilize voice over Wi-Fi to cover their network gaps.

The arrogance is difficult to swallow here.  It's not about Verizon's investment in network, which is decent.  My expensive XLTE iPhone is merely a paper weight inside my office which is located in the core of an office building which no only provides physical barriers to cell phone signal, but it's surrounded by a net of electrical and networking wiring which plays havoc on a cell signal.  Plus, I just returned from my beach vacation where my condo is a cement fortress with 18" concrete walls.  Nothing is getting through that, not even Verizon's precious 4G LTE Network.  I had to stand outside to make cell phone calls.

Yes Verizon's battery hungry CDMA network is good, but there are too often times when we need a phone but can't due to physical location.  It ticks me off that my son's $12/month Republic Wireless telephone can have crystal clear communications inside while mine and my wife's $180/month Verizon wireless plan can't.

I have no choice but to pay for Verizon's expensive service due to the rural areas around my city.  Please afford us the option to use WiFi for calling when it's necessary.

TotoroO

I just want to say I am waiting for Wifi calling as well. My connection in a major city in the Bay Area in my home never works well (going on multiple years of bad connections). I have the extender too...also unreliable over all these years. I have started exploring other options to Verizon after all the frustration. I just don't trust any of the providers to get it right.

I would love a definitive answer to when we can see Wifi calling. They said it would come around now last year. I'm not holding my breath!

0 Likes
TruckinGTI11

I also would like to see this feature enabled/brought to Verizon's table of services offered. My contract is coming up in the next couple of months and I thought about switching to T-Mobile....as long as there was WIFI I could make calls no matter the location. As the CFO stated "He isn't worried about losing customers if they want to JUMP ship to another carrier that's part of it"; so why should I care to stay with a company with that type of mentality, Voice over WIFI obviously isn't something they are gong to enable anytime soon.

RogerSC
Novice

Yes, really ticked me off when I read that CFO Fran Shammo at Verizon was quoted as saying (essentially) "We have such wonderful coverage that our customers have no need for WiFi calling".

What a bunch of baloney. Customers like me, that have to use a Network Extender even though I'm in a "best coverage" area according to Verizon's own coverage map, are victims of this kind of thinking. I wonder if they enjoy the revenues from the Network Extenders enough to alienate their customers? Or maybe they think that they have enough of a monopoly that they don't have to care about what their customers need? Or maybe they just don't care about customers at all, which is the way that they come across to me.

Verizon and Comcast (both on the most hated companies in the US lists) give me most of the consumer pain in my life. As far as I'm concerned, if they can act like monopolies and do whatever they want (which is what they do), they need to be regulated by the government and told to do what good, ethical companies that care about their customers do. Since they either don't know or care how to act that way. Unfortunately I don't have an alternative for either one at the moment, so I just have to put up with ithem. But if there ever is an alternative to either one of these companies in my area, I'm gone like a shot and will enjoy the heck out of it.

Snn5
Sr. Leader

You realize that wifi calling isn't as easy as just auto-installing some update to all phones right?  Testing of each model of phone offered would need to be done, network interruptions could occur and prices could go up.  There are other free ways to wifi call on a Verizon phone without having to go through more software update issues.  Especially with everyone fussing about Lollipop, why add on more issues?

0 Likes
TotoroO

No one said it was easy. But other carriers offer it, and it is certainly feasible. And Verizon originally stated they would supply it and then backed off. You clearly don't have a problem with your connection in your house and appear to be trivializing the issue. I live in a major metropolitan area (the Bay Area), and many here (including me) have unreliable connection in their home (or offices even). The extender they offer is a joke.

The only reason I stay with Verizon is because outside my house I have somewhat relative reliability. If someone who offers wifi can even come close to matching them, I'm gone. I'm tempted to leave now after the continued delays on this matter.

Most of us know that Verzion sees wifi as a threat, not a technology hurdle. Until they wake up, more will leave over the issue.

0 Likes
Snn5
Sr. Leader

I believe Verizon will set up mini towers long before wifi calling is enabled.  You'd think that wifi calling and offloading that use to a cable ISP would make sense.  Having a stronger network without the gimmicks is where most companies want to be.  As for me, Google Voice works fine for wifi calling, forwarding, whatever, so I have my  free standby when needed.

0 Likes
TotoroO

As for workarounds to Verizon's wifi intransigence, I would love for someone to post any that work in the way one needs for it to work. How can you make it viable for me as a Verizon user? Over wifi, it needs to:

1. Allow you to make calls on your Verizon phone with your existing contact list (or replicate the contacts)

2. Receive calls when people make calls to your Verizon number

I have found no reliable substitute for this as was suggested exist above. Skype came close. Unfortunately, it drops all the time as is reported in abundance in its community. As for the rest that I've see,  using a different number or requiring both parties to share the same app is not viable for most of us on a daily basis except with a few contacts.

I'd love to hear of any actual Verizon wifi substitutes instead of just suggestions that they may exist.

0 Likes