Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Why Has Unlimited Service Resulted in Slow Download Speeds?
CHRIAN8

I live in Franklinton NC. For Almost 3 years I've paid about $241 mo. for a 30 GB shared plan with a home router and three iPhones. For my home internet use it was good enough to view web pages and stream videos with some buffering - until you offered unlimited plans. I still pay $241 but now the service sucks. Verizon service really sucks. I'm seriously considering getting landline service from Century Link and using dial-up if it's still available. If that sounds ludicrous, here are a few of my speed tests.  5/18 6:46 pm .66 Mbps; 5/21 9:44 pm .37 Mbps; 5/25 5:41 pm .12 Mbps (by the way, yes those decimals are in the right place); 5/31 10:00 pm .51 Mbps; 6/2 5:27 pm .74; 6/20 9:46 pm .13 Mbps; 7/21 8:30 pm .45 Mbps; 7/25 9:52 pm .52 Mbps; 8/5 8:01 pm 1.24 Mbps (Blazing); 8/13 10:35 pm .30 Mbps; 8/18 10:02 pm .54 Mbps.  Since you began the unlimited service, I pay the same price get the same limited GB and get less service.  My daughter can't do her homework and my wife wants to move. I hoped that you would figure out you had a prime time usage problem and would fix it, but it seems that is not going to happen, and you don't care. I contacted you by phone several times, through the app at least once, and visited a Verizon store. I received a courtesy call from the Verizon store with a message to call back if there was anything I needed. I called back, got a voicemail, and left a message about my problem. I never got a return call. After talking to a supervisor in Chicago, I was finally told that the problem was that I had poor signal strength. I knew that. It's always been poor (can you hear me now), but I always got at least 2 bars, sometimes 3 on my home router with an external antenna. That's why it was slow for the first 2 1/2 years, but it worked well enough. Did you move the tower? My house didn't move. I still get 2-3 bars on the router. I thought those bars indicated signal strength.  Doesn't seem to me that that changed. Quite a coincidence how "my signal strength dropped" and my service began to suck at the same time you started offering unilimited service. Perhaps it's not my signal strength, but just too many people using the service at the same time. Since my level of service dropped, shouldn't my monthly service charge drop too? Over the past 20 years I never once considered switching because of Verizon's legendary reputation as having the best service and best coverage. I don't think I'll make 21 years.  I'm going down to the AT&T store tomorrow.  Hopefully they still have the home router service. Maybe they will upgrade my phones too if I switch. The former Verizon guy is right, it's not worth the premium for 1% better service, especially since my service isn't even usable anymore and you have no plans to fix it.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why Has Unlimited Service Resulted in Slow Download Speeds?
Ann154
Expert
Expert

You can ask to switch back to the 30 GB plan.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Rickbme

I was in a similar situation as you. We had the Home fusion for probably 2 years. A Verizon customer for 20+. When the unlimited came out my home fusion speeds started dropping and dropping to the point it was taking me 30min to do my banking. I called and put a ticket in to look into it. To maker a long story short, the tower was overloaded, and there was no plans to upgrade it anytime soon.

The tech basically told me they would wave any fees to transfer to another carrier. Nice way to treat your loyal customer right? Considering they would have probably been better off upgrading the tower and keeping customers. I'm sure more around here will leave soon enough though. I suppose when there's only 1 Verizon customer out here he will have great speeds right?!!

So I went and grabbed an att home base unit to try out before canceling my home fusion. It works 500% better, I no longer have that 30 gig cap, and have 10megs down and 15 up. I used 70 gigs this month. No speed slow downs. It's wonderful.

I canceled my home fusion and will be moving my phones next week. ATT can have my $300 a month instead.

0 Likes
CHRIAN8

Thanks Ann. I did switch back, although they originally told me I couldn't. Unfortunately it didn't help with the speed problem.

0 Likes
CHRIAN8

Thanks Rick.  The ATT reseller store I went to did not understand what I was looking for. I'm sure if I go to a full ATT retail store I can get the home base unit and hopefully get the same results you got. It's a shame they just couldn't give me a straight answer up front. I still would have switched, but I would have at least respected them for explaining they would not be upgrading the area, or it would take x number of months/years, so I should try another carrier.  They're just too big now to care about one guy and his four lines. My neighbor is in the same boat, so I'll pass on the advice to him before he spends $1,000 on a cell phone booster.

0 Likes
Rickbme

Definitely go to a corporate store. I've always perfered those to the resellers. They also have a free 30 day return policy if it doesn't work as you like. I had originally planned on buying the unit outright, and then going month to month in case it didn't pan out, but when he offered the return I just did the contract.

Shame that Verizon is basically ignoring the rural  areas that don't have an instant ROI. The employee's I always dealt with were awesome. It's the top guys pandering to the short sighted stock holders that will be the downfall eventually.

Good luck my friend. Hope you get something that works like it should.

Rick

0 Likes
LATTA23

I just switched to the Go Unlimited plan and am experiencing the same issues. It has been 5 hours now and the 3 checks of data speed that I have ran come back at .11, .19, and .12Mbps. I was at the 8GB level before and never had issues. I called Verizon customer service and they mentioned that is a "feature" of the Go Unlimited plan but I can't switch back to the old plan until next billing cycle.  Therefore, I am paying $37 more a month for a service that doesn't work. My only options are to upgrade to the Beyond Unlimited plan and pay more money of use "wifi."  I wish I could use wifi all of the time because then I wouldn't have to pay all of this money for a service that doesn't work.  I have been a Verizon customer for over 15 years and I am now officially in the market for a new carrier.  All it would have taken for me to be happy is just to switch me back to my old plan, but all Verizon cares about is the money so they don't allow it.  Good bye Verizon! 

0 Likes