Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Why Is My Data Usage Not Accurate?
GEMACUERVO1

My usage data was wrong for three days running. Showed I had a lot of Data to use but really had almost none.  Why can't this be accurate if you want me to use it ?

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Usage data outdated
GEMACUERVO1

I found the disconnect for data on my new phone and turned it off. I use my iPad for Internet

And the phone was just extra connection. I can still call out and use my text messages and that's

All I need from my phone

Thanks again

Carol

Sent from my iPad

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Expert
Expert

Where were you seeing this?  Was this on your device or on your My Verizon account online?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
GEMACUERVO1

On my Verizon acct online under data usage. It said I had plenty left out of 18..

The circle graph showed about 25% left out of the 18.

Sent from my iPad

0 Likes
Ann154
Expert
Expert

Was this around your billing cycle date? The usage counter freezes while the system calculates the monthly usage.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
GEMACUERVO1

Yes. On or about the 25th I got an email saying I had used 90%. I went in to look online and saw

The note I just relayed to you. My billing ends midnight the 28th. I waited 3 days til pm of the

28th. I did not use any data for those three days. When I checked usage again online it said the

Same thing as it did three days ago. Same numbers and % usage. Then I received another email

A few minutes later saying I had used all my data. So which is it?? Emails after I use it??

Or can I check online. ?? Apparently online checking is wrong. Do you stop figuring three

Days before billing cycle ends to figure?? It would seem that is the time I might run short

So I go to check and,it is wrong, what good is that??

Sent from my iPad

0 Likes
Ann154
Expert
Expert

Did you actually turn off your data on the phone the moment you got the message you were at 90%? Are you on the new Verizon Plans? If so, why didn't you enable the Safety Mode for the account? Some data reporting is delayed from the various towers and backbone providers especially if they aren't owned by Verizon Wireless. That is one of the reasons that customers could go over their limit even if they shut off the data at 90% or closer to the limit. In reality they might have already gone over and Verizon doesn't know that because it wasn't reported back to them yet. You can also set on your phone itself (if you have an Android or Windows phone) a hard data limit for the phone to shut your usage off. Since that is based on what the phone is transmitting it isn't reliant on towers to tell what has been used, it is more of a true real time counter of your data usage.

0 Likes
GEMACUERVO1

Sooooo...what you are saying is the data usage shown on my Verizon account at your website

Is indeed, as I said originally, outdated.

I just bought a smartphone and went in on the 29th and enabled the safety mode . I really can't shut my phone

off to conserve data. I think this way...I pay $237.00 a month for your services..and yes, I

have a lot of devices...but...at the very least I should be able to get accurate data use

from your website (as you claim in your sales pitch).

Since there is a delay from towers reporting usage back to you and usually they don't make a

deadline prior to billing then you should just delete it and let go of those final

charges..you can afford it..and it would be a nice service for your regular customers

who pay..and I repeat myself...$237.00 a month.

. It really is annoying and is not putting the customer first.

Carol

Sent from my iPad

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We are always here to help GEMACUERVO1. I know how important it is to keep your bill under control and avoid data overage.

It can take 24 to 48 hours for your usage to update. When you log into your My Verizon account you can also view the data usage details where it shows you the dates and times the data was used.

Enabling Safety Mode is a great to avoid data overage. It will still allow you to use data at a slower speed but will not bill you overage. Visit http://vz.to/2dq5brD for details.

JohnB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Ann154
Expert
Expert

It isn't MY website. It is the Verizon Wireless website. I'm just another customer like yourself. You don't have to shut off your phone to turn off the cellular data connection. There is a setting in phone to control whether or not the phone uses the cellular data connection to access the Internet.

0 Likes
GEMACUERVO1

I see. I thought you were representing Verizon..I am sorry for the misunderstanding.

You certainly are well informed for just being a customer..could have fooled me

I will look on my new phone for the setting cellular data connection and turn it off.

With all these changes I should be ok.

Thank you for your help...

Ps. Verizon should be paying you commission for solving their problems.

Carol

Sent from my iPad