Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Why are they charging me for a returned phone that was damaged during the shipping process?
niviaj66

I recently upgraded my iPhone 8 to the iPhone XR. I shipped the old device back with the shipping label and pouch they provided. The phone was in excellent (like new) condition when I shipped it back. Now they’re telling me that it was damaged (cracked screen), and that I have to pay $327 for the phone. This is such poor customer service. First of all, if phones are getting damaged during the return process, perhaps they should look at better packaging, and not just provide a baggy. Secondly, if my phone had a cracked screen I would have repaired it for $75 and then upgraded it. Third, this is such poor customer service! I know they’re going to repair the phone, and sell it as a refurbished phone. What a way to mess people upover. No wonder people are leaving to other providers. I will be doing the same thing as soon as possible, and I will also post this everywhere. Has anyone else experienced this?

​Content modified as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Labels (1)
Re: Why are they charging me for a returned phone that was damaged during the shipping process?
Jlavoie893

OMG I am furious. I returned my son’s iPhone 7. Perfectly fine, not a scratch on it but there was a data issue that we were told was a defect in the 7’s. 5 days later they email me pictures of a broken screen that they obviously broke and are not taking responsibility. I am furious! I will not be paying the $329 they think they are billing me. I am changing carriers and I am filing a small claims suit again them for lying and scamming customers. I pay $300/mo and have been a customer for over 15 years. Big mistake Verizon, BIG! 

0 Likes
Re: Why are they charging me for a returned phone that was damaged during the shipping process?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We love having your family as part of ours and we do not want to lose you! I am sorry for the situation and we want to work towards a resolution. I have sent a Private Note and will look forward to working with you further.  - YaleK_VZW

0 Likes
Tigerstep

Why didn't you pack the phone better?

0 Likes
Soniavittorio_
Spoiler
How did that go for you? If well can you please walk me through what you did? Or what steps you took, as Verizon is doing the same thing to me!!!
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Soniavittori, we completely understand that having something such as this going on is important to discover the issue to help find a resolution on any returned devices. We can definitely assist you with this. Please send us a Private Note for better assistance.  JoseL_VZW

ktroyer

Please let me know how this went for you! I have been absolutely kicked around by the horrible customer service at Verizon, and I am a 28 year customer! I shipped back a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 that was in perfect condition exteriorilly but the battery refused to charge and the phone would overheat constantly. They told me that it's "not their responsibility" to follow up with the shipping company "IF" it was damaged in shipping - basically calling me a liar! Now, ONE DAY before I sent it back to Verizon, I had taken it into the store and they took a look at it and an employee had their hands on it, cleaned it, and told me the phone looked to be in perfect condition. The online rep even had the nerve to tell me that the phone was probably cracked "under the screen protector" and I didn't notice... excuse me, that's why I HAD a screen protector and inspected the phone before it was sent of . I'm expected to pay a $299 damage fee for something I didn't do - so sick over this, and absolutely horrified at the "customer service" I've received. I will be looking into other providers as soon as possible. 

usmc85

I had the same experience!  I bought my phone from the Verizon store with a case and invisibleshield glass, I setup a warranty claim for a charging port issue.  I took off the case and glass protector, then wiped down the entire phone and IMMEDIATELY put it in the box the same way the replacement phone was packed.  They charged me for a cracked screen.  They sent me two photos of the back of the phone completely shattered (the two photos were two different phones, but the text at the bottom had the same phone serial number) and they said “cracked front screen.”  ??

How could the back shatter with a case on?  I have insurance on the phone... so who would pay for insurance monthly and have the option of paying a small deductible, yet say “no, that’s okay I’ll send it to Verizon instead and pay $300+ dollars.”. ????

I opened an investigation and they keep blaming me and calling me a liar, but they have no evidence or video footage of the employee opening the box with the phone condition. 

TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.  Filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau!  Shame on Verizon for accusing their customer - there’s no logic behind someone sending a shattered phone to Verizon when they have insurance that is MUCH CHEAPER.  

KH-OrnEsh

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.