Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Why are we billed for a suspended phone?!
dhinged
Novice

My sister had a phone stolen months ago, I was told we could suspend it "without billing" which still charged us for the device (not the service) for 3 months, but now that that's expired, I was told I could suspend it again, but when I did I still got billed for talk & text service even though there's 0 minutes and 0 texts on the phone we don't even have, and they won't credit anything and they won't suspend it without billing service we can't use.

How does this make any sense? Can someone please explain why Verizon needs to do this? What am I paying for in real physical reality if I can't actually use the service? If I cancel the phone, we pay a cancellation fee (which makes sense since they subsidize the phone), but forcing someone to pay for service they can't use makes no sense.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Why are we billed for a suspended phone?!
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

I understand not wanting to pay for a line that isn't being used, dhinged. The option to hold off all parts of the contract signed for a line (monthly charges, contract, upgrade eligibility, etc) are limited to 90 days to allow a sufficient amount of time to find a more permanent solution. The suspend options are really meant for a temporary solution for each of our valued customers while looking for a replacement phone or new line user or any other options that may be best.

I noticed you mentioned the contract expires in September and wanted to remind you that while suspending without billing, even the remaining contract is put on hold since the contract signed was to pay for the service for 24 months to get the discounted device. If additional time is needed, there is always the option to suspend with billing or to consider an alternate plan for the line. Do you have other lines on your account where we can work on a different plan option? Do you have a different type of device, a tablet perhaps, that we can activate to the line to ensure you can use the services?

JenniferH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Good questions. We would need some more details to provide an accurate answer. Do you have more than one line on the account? If so, you would still be charged for your monthly plan as that is shared between all the lines on the account. Are you being charged a line access fee for the line that is suspended?
NoahS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
dhinged
Novice

You're not understanding; we're being billed for talk & text service even though there's 0 minutes and 0 texts on the phone we don't even have. That's not data or device (subsidization) charge.

Nationwide Talk 450 03/04 - 04/03 $39.99

This was not charged during the first suspension which only lasts 3 months. Since it went unsuspended, suspending again still has that charge, because chat support says it can't be suspended WITHOUT BILLING again, and they will credit NOTHING. We can't use the minutes or texts on it because we haven't had the phone since it was stolen, but Verizon's still charging us for Nationwide Talk 450. We can't use the 450 minutes or ANY minutes! Nothing! What are we actually paying for?!

Right now it's service we can't use and haven't used, that Verizon can't provide, and the device contract expires in September. Do you understand what this means? We have to pay for talk/text service that WE CAN'T USE; why is Verizon charging for that, how is it fair, and what are we actually paying for if not minutes and texts?! That's the "service" I'm talking about. We're paying for NOTHING, and this probably shouldn't even be legal, and I'm not sure it even is in my state.

0 Likes
deloused

The maximum time that a phone number can be suspended without billing is 90 days per year. If you don't want to put a different device on that number to use the service you can cancel it instead do you wouldn't have to pay for the service anymore.

SuzyQ
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Why are you not replacing the phone with a borrowed or inexpensive replacement?

0 Likes
dhinged
Novice

The maximum time that a phone number can be suspended without billing is 90 days per year.

Chat already told me this, but couldn't explain why, so we're still being billed for Nationwide Talk 450 $39.99 per month that we can't use and haven't used.

You didn't explain why we still have to pay for talk/text service on a phone we can't use.

0 Likes
dhinged
Novice

Why are you not replacing the phone with a borrowed or inexpensive replacement?

My sister didn't wait for me to give the passcode to replace it, the phone was on contract, she opened a new contract on a new account that I then took on, so she's using her new phone on her current number and the stolen phone is on another number that came from the other account.

So technically she has two contracted phones on the account with their own numbers, but Verizon is saying we still have to pay for the Nationwide Talk 450 $39.99 per month for service we don't use on a phone we don't have. I don't care about the device charge as Verizon has subsidized both phones, but they're charging us for service we can't use that isn't already purchased by them like a subsidized phone is. We're simply paying for nothing, for no reason yet that anyone can explain other than "those are just the rules". Mafia people can say that too.

It wouldn't have mattered if she contracted the new phone on my account, it still would have spawned up a new number that Verizon is now charging us service for that is unused, unusable, and will not be used period. I could try to add someone to the line but Verizon doesn't offer payments from that individual to the account, I have to manage everything.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Ahhh, so if I understand what happened...the phone was stolen, a new line of service was opened to replace the stolen phone, and a discounted (subsidized) phone was purchased.  The phone is in use on the original number (still under contract also?) and now there is a line of service, unused, with a contract that needs to be fulfilled or an

ETF paid.

Unfortunately, a device could have (should have) been purchased outside of Verizon (third party, eBay, swappa, borrowed) to replace her phone without opening a new line of service.  SInce a new line was opened, with a new phone, it needs to be paid.

deloused

I could've been clearer in the second part of the post to answer that-

You (or your sister) still would have to pay for service for the plan/feature pricing you chose since you maxed out the amount of time you can suspend without billing, and you chose like not to replace the device on the line to be able to use the service, and you chose not to cancel the service to permanently cease billing. Verizon cannot decide to make those changes to the account to change phones or stop the billing that's on you or your sister.

mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

So, your sister stiffed you.  Your stuck in contract on her line. 

TO be clear, the contract is for a discounted phone in exchange for 2 years of paid service.  This is why you are still billed for service your sister chose not to use.

IF your sister started a new account, it had to be on the Verizon plan, so she is on device payments for a new phone, which she might have been able to do on your current plan , and keep her number. 

0 Likes