Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Why can't I send or receive sms messages unless data is on?
Cody605

My GF can't send or receive text unless data is on but then all the data gets sucked dry.  Constantly having to turn on and off to check her messages unless she is hooked up to wifi.  Said she went thru settings and all is fine.  Is there something else missing?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: can't send or receive sms unless data is on
bd94s10

Cody605 see if the Verizon Messages app will work while on Wi-Fi only. I forget if it does. Other than that, she can turn on cellular but then restrict apps she doesn't want to use cellular.. which will help manage the data consumption.

Verizon Messages: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/message+/id621469412?mt=8

Settings > Cellular > scroll down to "Use cellular data for:" and toggle off apps that you do not want to use cellular data on. e.g. lets say FB was her number 1 data culprit.. set it to only use Wi-Fi.

Login to My Verizon to get an idea of what is using the majority of data such as social media etc.

She can also add the My Verizon Data widget to the Today notification screen. Once this is done, she can tap on the data usage and it will take her right to the My Verizon Mobile app (that app has to be installed) to see the % of data used. From there you can tap on "Data Utilization" to see a break down of what is using the most data to help with toggling on the above mentioned setting.

Just wanted to provide a couple more options that may help!

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

I appreciate your concerns over this and want to help alleviate them for you. Getting the most out of your phone is important and help is here to talk this over with you Cody605. With all our devices, it’s best to leave data on so messages can be send/received. However for applications that you prefer to use on WiFi only, you may go into settings and cellular to turn off all the applications that you want to pull WiFi instead of cellular data. As this will help drastically in reducing the internet usage. Also ensure that WiFi Assist in that same area is turned off as well.

TakendraW_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

bd94s10

Cody605 see if the Verizon Messages app will work while on Wi-Fi only. I forget if it does. Other than that, she can turn on cellular but then restrict apps she doesn't want to use cellular.. which will help manage the data consumption.

Verizon Messages: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/message+/id621469412?mt=8

Settings > Cellular > scroll down to "Use cellular data for:" and toggle off apps that you do not want to use cellular data on. e.g. lets say FB was her number 1 data culprit.. set it to only use Wi-Fi.

Login to My Verizon to get an idea of what is using the majority of data such as social media etc.

She can also add the My Verizon Data widget to the Today notification screen. Once this is done, she can tap on the data usage and it will take her right to the My Verizon Mobile app (that app has to be installed) to see the % of data used. From there you can tap on "Data Utilization" to see a break down of what is using the most data to help with toggling on the above mentioned setting.

Just wanted to provide a couple more options that may help!

Cody605

Thanks it helped out alot! Answered!!!

Cody605

Thanks for the help! I knew there was something on that she wasn't doing right!!!

bd94s10

No problem. Thanks for posting back.

0 Likes
Presouz

Happens to me also with my non-iPhone people  this is just not right! Just realized it when people were sending me messages on Facebook if I got their text and then when I leave the house and turn on my data all of a sudden I’m flooded with messages that are non-iPhone it’s just so bizarre I don’t get it. This shouldn’t happen! I learned my lesson about leaving data on while the Wi-Fi is on also when I was with AT&T for years they double charged me it doesn’t matter now because I have unlimited data but it still chews into your data and they throttle you 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us on this, Presouz. We definitely want to make sure you're able to receive alerts while you're on WiFi while your data is turned off. To make sure this happens, you'll need to be sure that your WiFi Calling has been successfully set up on your device and that you are using the LTE,VoLTE On selection under Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options. If you want to be sure that your phone isn't using both cellular & wifi at the same time, you can also disable Apple's WiFi Assist feature, which is under Settings > Cellular, down near the bottom. We hope this information helps! EricW_VZW

0 Likes