Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Why do I have HUGE OVERAGE?
wanageshik

I got a HUGE overage on my bill. But nothing changed on our end. It seems kind of random. Could there be a mistake on your end? My bill seems too big.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: HUGE OVERAGE
christopherm_vzw
Verizon Employee

Hello wanageshik,

I would be concerned too if my usage started to go up without my knowing. Our community has provided some great insight into possible causes for your increased in data consumption. We have a great way to help track the categories of data your devices user. It is call the Data Utilization tool and information about it can be found here: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/data-utilization-faqs/ Please review the Data Utilization tool and let us know the categories of data that were reported being used.

ChristopherM_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
stever_vzw
Verizon Employee

wanageshik, it is important to us that we review all of the charges from your account and make sense of them for you.

Have you had the opportunity to contact our customer department for details on the overages? You can also review the charges using our MyVerizon account http://vz.to/1NCa5tm  We can also go over all data usage for you, if needed. Please reach back out to us when you have the opportunity and we will be ready to continue helping.

SteveR_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Ann154
Expert
Expert

Did you look at your account to see which device used the most?  Did you look at the devices' local data counters to see which applications used the data?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

wanageshik wrote:

I got a HUGE overage on my bill. But nothing changed on our end.

You may not have changed your habits, but I'm willing to bet many of your apps updated, perhaps an OS update or system update happened on at least one of the phones on your account.   Did you check to ensure settings for those apps were configured to minimize cellular usage?  Do you have apps update automatically, or do you manually update each one and check settings after the update?

I've been caught short a couple of times by apps that reset to default and started using data like crazy (Google photos, Facebook, to name just two) by updating on cellular or playing videos automatically all the time.  Luckily, I keep a very close eye on our data usage and I spot unusual activity within a day or two and can adjust.

As Ann154​ suggested, look at your devices and see where the data usage went.  Then look at those apps and check the settings to be sure they are making full use of wifi and minimizing cellular data.

0 Likes
wanageshik

Ok. I'm not very tech-savvy as I'm a senior citizen. I use an iPhone. I'm going to see if I can trace it. I read that the iOS update triggered something that boosted your signal and so I got instructions and have already turned that off. Thank you for your suggestions.

Sheryl  [Removed]

personal information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

christopherm_vzw
Verizon Employee

Hello wanageshik,

I would be concerned too if my usage started to go up without my knowing. Our community has provided some great insight into possible causes for your increased in data consumption. We have a great way to help track the categories of data your devices user. It is call the Data Utilization tool and information about it can be found here: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/data-utilization-faqs/ Please review the Data Utilization tool and let us know the categories of data that were reported being used.

ChristopherM_VZW

0 Likes
dexman

iPhones and other smartphones have an on-board app that gives the total amount of data consumed by that device and a rough breakdown of how that total came about.

You can use that along with the data counter found on your My Verizon account to get a general idea of what is gobbling up data.

0 Likes
wanageshik

I have an iPhone 6. What is the app called? I can't find it. Sorry

Sheryl [removed]

personal information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

0 Likes
mama23dogs

Open settings, click on cellular data, and scroll down.  This must be done for each device on your data plan

it will look like the photo below.  The numbers are data use. 

1024 kb equal a mb, 1024 mb equal a GBs. 

IMG_4521.JPG

IMG_4520.JPG

IMG_4619.JPG

IMG_4519.JPG

0 Likes
wanageshik

Got it! Ok it says 87.7GB and 15.9GB roaming.

Sheryl [Removed]

0 Likes