Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Why do I have data spikes?
JANHOG83

Noticed yesterday that I had used 66 percent of my data with 13 days left.  This has NEVER happened before.  Historically use less than 1 of my 2 available - no streaming, gaming.  Called Verizon and spikes occurred while st home so WiFi should have been used.  WiFi assist turned off when it came out.  Utilization shows "technical".  Totally confused but cannot afford more data.  IPhone 6S, software current.  No changes in what used or how.  Help!

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Data spikes in November - wow
Weth
Sr. Leader

Are you reading the time of use correctly? Technical indicates some sort of app updates, operating system updates, system updates, etc.

If you are looking at your data use and you see something like:

10:05 AM   3.26 MB

05:02 AM  435.32 MB

06:25 PM    2.22 MB

The above does not indicate 435.32 MB was used at 6:02 AM or overnight. It shows the use sometime between 5:02 AM and 10:05 AM. Most people misinterpret above that data was used overnight when on wifi, which is not how it is recorded.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Is wifi assist STILL off?  Updates will sometimes go back to the default settings, and wifi assist is ON by default.

Also check apps that have updated to see if their settings have reverted to default and may be causing your higher than normal data usage.

If you are on the newer Verizon plan, turn on (activate) Safety mode - that way even if you reach your plan limit, you won't get hit with overage charges.  Your data will slow down a bunch, but you will continue to have data available for basic things, and there are no overages if Safety Mode is enabled.

0 Likes
Weth
Sr. Leader

Are you reading the time of use correctly? Technical indicates some sort of app updates, operating system updates, system updates, etc.

If you are looking at your data use and you see something like:

10:05 AM   3.26 MB

05:02 AM  435.32 MB

06:25 PM    2.22 MB

The above does not indicate 435.32 MB was used at 6:02 AM or overnight. It shows the use sometime between 5:02 AM and 10:05 AM. Most people misinterpret above that data was used overnight when on wifi, which is not how it is recorded.

0 Likes
JANHOG83

WiFi Assist was still off - first thing checked, everything in other apps with access to cellular looked ok.  Have since turned off Background Refresh also As advised that can be an issue.  Have also reset stats so as to watch data hogs.  Cannot do much this cycle to check as don't have the Safety mode, but will check it out next cycle and just watch closely.  Thanks.

0 Likes
JANHOG83

i was actually given the times by Verizon Wireless - one was mid-morning, one a Sunday afternoon, and forget other.  Usually do software updates overnight and I do remember that Apple had a few recently but the issue is still why cellular was being used over WiFi.  Have upgraded WiFI (with FIOS) so that should have been accessed in the home.  Thanks.

0 Likes
Weth
Sr. Leader

The same applies. The rep is just looking at the same info you get on My Verizon, and many reps don't understand how the time stamping works.  Look on My Verizon, understand how it is reported, and then see if it still doesnt make sense.  The time you were given was NOT the time you actually used the data.  You must see the log to make sense of it. 

0 Likes