Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Why is Verizon billing me for a free phone?
N_Petit

Why is Verizon billing me for a free phone? I would ask Verizon directly, if they would talk to me.

1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Why is Verizon billing me for a free phone?
N_Petit

I see the credit on my bill now, so I must apologize for wrongfully accusing Verizon. The payment is $5.56 though, and the credit is only $4.31. I guess the difference is that $1.25 per month that the customer service rep kept talking about that I couldn't understand. That's why he gave me the $30 credit. My sincerest apologies to all. It's not a valid excuse, but life has been stressful lately. I'm sorry that I took it out on you.   

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9wood

Not sure of your situation but many others have reported that BOGO offer get problems with the credit or promotion offer that appears to be them telling you takes several months for it to appear sometimes doesn't

0 Likes
Tigerstep

Because nothing is free. You sticking it out for 24 months is 2 years of paying Verizon for service to get the phone "free". If you bail before 2 years, you owe what's left the phone.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

N_Petit, your wireless experts are here to check out what is going on. We have multiple ways to keep in touch. Why do you say that we don't want to talk to you? 

-TakendraW

0 Likes
N_Petit

After 3 days I finally got through to someone in Elbonia who agreed (I think) that I shouldn't be getting charged. When the next bill comes, the charge should be gone, or I'll have to go through the whole mess again. 

0 Likes
N_Petit

After seeing my new bill I see that said blockhead in Elbonia gave a $30 credit on my phone, which is not what I asked for. The entire $149.99 should have been eliminated. I sent a Letter to Verizon with my last bill payment explaining the situation, and enclosed a copy of the card they sent me promising a free phone. I don't think anyone there can read, though. Looks like have to go through the tortuous path to customer "service" again. At least if they give me a $30 credit each time, it will only take 5 times to do away with the charge for my free phone.

0 Likes
Tigerstep

A "free" phone will still have a payment plan with credits AUTOMATICALLY applying to offset it. That $30 was unnecessary. You're free to call in and have them charge you back for it if it's making you upset.

If by the 3rd billing cycle you don't see device payment promo credit applied each month on the bill, you call in CALMLY and request a promo fallout form to be submitted. It's important you are reading your bills correctly and not making other people wait in queue for you yelling at a stranger over the phone.

0 Likes
N_Petit

The card from Verizon said nothing about waiting three months and having to ask for a promo fallout form. It said the phone was free and I took them at their word. I'll know better in the future.

0 Likes
N_Petit

Apparently, Verizon's plan is to bill me for the phone every month for 2 years, but also apply an offsetting credit each month to ensure that I stay with them for the full term. It would have saved us all a lot of trouble if this had been explained initially. It could have been put on the promo card that was mailed out, the Verizon where I got the could have been informed, or it could have been put on my bill. Not telling the customer up front, and not applying the credit for two or three months is obviously going to make the customer feel that he's being cheated. I've been a Verizon customer ever since they acquired Alltel, but that doesn't seem to carry much weight. Verizon might also tell what their plan is to keep me with them when the 2 years are up. 

0 Likes
acraftylady2

The card had no link to the website for the details?  When you called to ask about the free phone no one explained the promo to you?