Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Re: Why the Data Spike? 1 GB usage per month to 23 GB and 4 days remaining
VERYANGELIC

They sent me a message too. They told me they owed me money..about 50 some

odd, then it went down to 30 some odd. Lol

That's why I removed my one acct from them. They can have their measly $20.

In the meantime, I've been worth my other company for numerous years.

Multiply their monthly amt by approx 10 yrs x 12 months, and I guess you

can figure out how much they lost on that one acct..lol. Verizon=

ignorance. Be a part of it and watch your money fly out the window. I think

not! I'll go with honest companies that don't [removed] their customers. Care

to bet I don't receive a penny back? Lol

On Jan 10, 2018 3:03 PM, "vzw_customer_support" <forums@verizonwireless.com>

Profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service​.

Message edited by Verizon Moderator.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

VERYANGELIC, your loyalty means everything to us and we never want to see you go. We truly understand the importance of making sure your monthly usage is reporting accurately. Please allow us to further review the details. I have sent you a private message. Please respond to that message. Thank you

SylviaT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
TheBryceIsRight

This is due to activity with Apples iCloud storage. I’m a fan of Apple but they have lost the simplicity of things by trying to stay in the lead. Here are three things to check and should help people with metered plans regardless of current overages.

If you have icloud photo library turned on

Go to Settings -> Photos -> Cellular Data

in this menu you can toggle cellular data to manage your library to off.

With your update to iOS 11 if you restored from iCloud backup, then some items may continue in the background. I don’t know if this could have been the issue since there were several days in between but this process can take several hours on WiFi with strong signal so if your phone wasnt connected to WiFi I think it will download over cellular. 

Go to Settings -> Cellular and scroll all the way to the bottom. Check to see if WiFi Assist is turned on and if so turn it off. Also at the bottom of list there is a Section called system services if you tap on that it goes into a list. Sometimes apps will utilize Apple services and their data allocations will not be applied to the app itself but to the service that it’s utilizing.

The fact that this happened at night indicates it is a syncing cloud service function.

Hopes this helps.

IBlaster

Agreed VZW accounted for data on Nov and Dec of 2017 differently. I capped the data and blocked all apps from using background data. It held off overage charges but to go from an average of 12 gigs to 20 gigs in one month, and near 18 gigs in 10 days singals a change in practices. Just block your data for a month, if they charge you argue but generally your usage tracking should reset the following month.

0 Likes
DEEKEN21

Problem solved I just don't use my Jetpack. Love paying a monthly fee for something I can't use. (Sarcastically) Oh by the way Verizon, thanks for replying.(Sarcastically) If it's not my bill getting [removed] up. It's getting charged for data that I don't use.

Profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service​.

Message edited by Verizon Moderator.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

DEEKEN21,

I'm sorry for the late reply about your data usage. We don't want this to be the reason you think about leaving us. We value you as our customer and I'm here to address your concerns about your recent data usage. Allow me to gather some more details so I can better assist you. Is your computer the only equipment you connect to your jetpack? Has your jetpack received an update recently?

JuanD_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
DEEKEN21

Too late. I just don't bad mouth a company unless the company doesn't help.

On Jan 23, 2018 9:37 AM, "vzw_customer_support" <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
TRAHEM95

I've been seeing the same thing. Never reached 4GB of usage between my wife and I, then over the last several months it's progressed to 8, 9, 10+ GB of usage. We don't play games, watch movies, stream music, anything like that. I don't understand. I changed to the 8GB plan and it's just escalated from there. I've been charged $45 in overages this month alone and I'm rarely using my phone off of Wifi. Something isn't right here. I do agree that it may be something with the iPhones. My wife has a Google phone and her usage is under 4GB, my iPhone usage is nearing 9GB.....NOT HAPPY!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

It's important to be able to control your data usage, TRAHEM95. How do you use your device? Please navigate to Settings>Cellular. Is Wi-Fi Assist turned off at the bottom? What apps are showing higher amounts of data usage? At the bottom of this screen you can also Reset Statistics. This will allow you to track your data usage throughout your cycle. I recommend resetting your statistics on the first day of your bill cycle. You will also see a button next to each app in the Cellular section. When you have the button turned off next to an app then you will only be able to access data when using the app over WiFi.

We have several useful tools available for you to review your data usage. Have you had a chance to review your usage in Data Utilization? Please review #2 for more information as to how to access this tool: http://vz.to/2iITTn0 . You will see your usage broken down into categories to get a better idea as to how your data is being used.

You mentioned overages as well. Are you on a New Verizon plan by chance? If so, you can turn on Safety Mode in order to avoid overage charges. Please follow this link for additional information regarding safety mode: http://vz.to/2sYqPqH .

LaurenC_VZW

0 Likes