Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Why would you charge me $40 for a supposedly free upgrade?Have been a faithful verizon customer for years went in for myfree upgrade and paid for a iphone and protectve cover now I have to pay a fee for a free service? I will start switching my devices to
PATJAG

Why would you charge me$40 for a free upgrade? I chose a iPhone and paid you the difference plus protective cover, now you want to charge  me a fee for activating a number I have had for years!!!  I have been a faithful Verizon customer for years but I will switch companies when my contracts are up or I can get a buy out from another company, your free upgrade is not free and is a false advertisement as far as I'm concerned

Labels (1)
Re: Why would you charge me $40 for a supposedly free upgrade?Have been a faithful verizon customer for years went in for myfree upgrade and paid for a iphone and protectve cover now I have to pay a fee for a free service? I will start switching my device
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

However you had already stated you did not choose a "free upgrade", but paid the difference for an iPhone. So much for your "free upgrade". Additionally, I was not aware Verizon was in the business of giving away "free service"(s)?????? Purchasing a "free" or "reduced price" phone IS NOT a free service. You sign a contract in exchange for receiving that benefit. There is an upgrade fee along with that service you are contracted to complete or you will be charged an early termination fee(ETF), so this IS NOT a free service.

Yes, you have a choice to go with another provider which ALSO charges an upgrade fee OR charges you full retail value for your phone. So much for a "free upgrade" there.

AT&T = upgrade fee

Sprint = upgrade fee

T-Mobile = no upgrade fee but must pay full retail cost for the phone

For what it is worth, you would not have had to pay an upgrade fee had you simply paid full retail cost for your phone OR purchased it with Edge at full retail cost. Depending on your calling plan and data allowance, you may have even ended up paying less for your phone had you done so. That is why a little research before you make a purchase can go a long way.

I know it is cheaper for me to pay full retail for a phone than to purchase a discounted device in exchange for signing a contract.

Good luck with the new provider.Smiley Happy

Re: Why would you charge me $40 for a supposedly free upgrade?Have been a faithful verizon customer for years went in for myfree upgrade and paid for a iphone and protectve cover now I have to pay a fee for a free service? I will start switching my device
mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

You were here charged an upgrade fee, which all carriers charge if you upgrade on a subsidy plan.

You can avoid the fee by upgrading with Edge or paying retail cost.

There is no free phones.  You pay one way or another.  In your case, no line discount, and a portion of the cost up front.

On Edge, you pay only the retail cost in installments, in most cases, cheaper than subsidy plan.  (Edge customers get a line discount)

PATJAG

I appreciate the input , but you do not understand my frustration. Yes I did take the free upgrade and added to it by taking the iPhone, I'm not complaining about the cost of my upgrade choice, I'm frustrated that they charged me to activate it with the same phone number I've had for years. What good is a new upgraded phone  if it doesn't work?

If I was keeping my old phone and getting a new number, fine, but not to transfer service to the new phone. To simple for you to understand I guess but that's it in a nut shell

0 Likes
ynggrsshppr91

There is no such thing as a Free upgrade and never has been. It always was and is a discounted upgrade. Keep that in mind

0 Likes
narntek
Novice

I'm kinda with both ynggrsshppr91 and PATJAG on this one because I understand where both of you are coming from.

It used to be "back in the day" you'd walk into Verizon, upgrade your phone, and pay for the contract pricing of 19$. Now, you do the same, but get a 30$ activation fee tacked on as well. This just started and doesn't matter if you order either online or in a store. It's been this way for over 2-3 years, ever since they got rid of the New Every 2 program

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Yes, I understand your frustration that prices go up. An upgrade fee is simply one way that the price has gone up. Don't want to pay it, purchase your device at full retail up front OR on Edge. No upgrade fee there.Smiley Happy At least, not yet.

0 Likes
Weth
Sr. Leader

I second your misplaced understanding of a free phone.  you pay with the upgrade fee and $15 to $25 more over month.  When you calculate the math, you may be better buying a phone for full price than going for reduced cost with 2 year contract.  $25 per month for 2 years is $600 plus $40 is $640 you are paying minimum for any "free phone".   Now you know why we say there is no such thing as free phone.  

mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

You may recall the "New every two" promotion.  That was 3-4 years back.  It's gone.  This is the new carrier credo.  

Had you paid full price for your iPhone, it would have been a minimum $649 for a 16 GB, and no upgrade fee.

Re: Why would you charge me $40 for a supposedly free upgrade?Have been a faithful verizon customer for years went in for myfree upgrade and paid for
jeffmantis

As usual, no one is addressing the obvious gouging customers are taking from Verizon or whoever! When you pay $1000+ for a phone and taxes and a huge monthly fee already, $40 more dollars for a "We just want more money"fee is a poor response. Tell me it's not just greed or something the other guys do so we do too!"

A little price justification might go a long way instead of just saying ëveryone else does it!

To add insult to injury, the guy I talked to said in one sentence, "the phone will be there in 2 days"then, in the next breath, tells me it will be there in FOUR days with our 2 day shipping!

After taking fee after fee, that was the last straw.

0 Likes