Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Will Visual Voicemail Work If Data Is Turned Off?
KDVIEWS

I keep my data turned off because I'm almost always connected to wifi. I haven't yet enrolled in Visual Voicemail and I get a notice to do so when I get a voicemail, which I can hear in the conventional manner by dialing the number. If I enroll in Visual Voicemail and have my data turned off will I be notified when I get a new voicemail? Will I be able to retrieve it either by turning on data or dialing in?

Finally, I do this because I have a very small data allowance and don't want to waste it. My phone is running Android 6. Is there any setting that keeps apps from accessing data unless I affirmatively choose to allow those apps to do that?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: What happen when I enroll in Visual Voicemail if data is turned off?
Ann154
MVP MVP
MVP

The visual voicemail app needs a cellular data connection to work properly.  The only time it might not is if your phone supports WiFi calling.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
MVP MVP
MVP

The visual voicemail app needs a cellular data connection to work properly.  The only time it might not is if your phone supports WiFi calling.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
KDVIEWS

I realize it need data to work properly, but what happens when data is off? Will I get notifications of voice mail sent to me? Now, with data off and having not set up Visual Voicemail, I get a notification that I have received a voice mail and to set up Visual Voicemail, which I can retrieve in the traditional call-in manner. I haven't yet set up VV because I'm afraid I won't get notices with data turned off like it normally is. If that's true I don't want to set it up and in fact I'd like to turn off Visual Voicemail completely. I like the concept but not if it requires me to keep my data turned on all the time to get notifications.

Ann154
MVP MVP
MVP

Like I wrote, it needs a cellular data connection to work properly.  Meaning it won't be able to connect to the Verizon Wireless network to verify if there are voicemails waiting. It won't be able to pull the voicemails to the phone for you to review. Basically it won't work.

Call customer service at 1-800-922-0204 from a landline or *611 from your phone and request they add the Block Visual Voicemail feature to your line.

0 Likes
KDVIEWS

That's too bad. I'm glad I waited to set it up so I still received notifications with data off. It's a shame they won't program their system so both could be used. Thanks for the info.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Leader

How small is your data plan? How much data do you actually use? How much data do you think is "wasted" by apps?

I never understood anyone who owns a smartphone but turns off the mobile data.

Do you not have problems sending and receiving picture messages? That needs mobile data.

Honestly, mobile operating systems are designed to cut off apps in the background from using resources.

It is really not necessary to turn mobile data on and off constantly.

0 Likes