Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
excessive data usage
munday211

Hi,

So I'm on a plan with my Mom. We normally only use 2 GB of data monthly since I predominately use wi-fi and not my mobile data and she only uses her phone sparingly. Our plan is for the 2 GB. We've been with Verizon for over 15 years, never had any issues except the occasional month of going over 1 GB. Well I normally don't pay attention to the data usage as we've never had issues, went to pay the current bill and saw a $240 charge for overages. Supposedly my Mom's phone had used over 20 GB of data. It would take her a year to use that much data. I shut her phone down from using more data for the time being until we figure out the issue. Her phone did show the data usage in her settings, but we can't find the culprit. She hasn't done anything differently this month compared to others. I contacted customer service who were not helpful at all. They of course suggested getting a higher plan, which we don't need. This was an error with her phone. I was hoping they could look back at our history and reduce or refund the charges, but they wouldn't help. They mentioned by looking thru the records that the data is being used starting at 3:30pm daily. She said she never uses her phone at that time. So this all seems very strange. It also shows it's from the internet for usage. She just checks weather usually and texts. Anyone else have this problem? Were you able to get refunded by Verizon and if so, how did you go about getting them to be reasonable?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: excessive data usage
TinaB3

I also have this problem to the point where Verizon shut my phone off. But according to my app, I had roll over data from last month. I am terrified because my bill hasn’t been posted officially so I don’t know what my costs are. I was just on the phone with the payment center and they couldn’t tell me either. 

Here are my concerns: I saw on older posts that there can be a glitch in their system which flips the GB & MB charging you for more data, also I received ZERO notifications (I have gone over data before and they will text me when I have <10% remaining), also I have roll over data from last month.

I am wondering how you saw your data usage? I tried to ask when my data was used the the call center said they couldn’t help me.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

TinaB3, this isn't the type of experience we want for you. We want to help and ensure all your concerns are answered. Is this the first time you experience this issue? Does it still show the incorrect information? ChristianP_VZW

0 Likes
munday211

My data usage is showing up as internet using the most. But I can't find anything that could be draining that much data. Everything looks normal on the phone, apps, etc. Who mentioned the glitch of the GB and MB? What is concerning to me is that I've been a customer for a very long time and when I look at my past history of data usage it's never been over 3GB for mobile data. March was 3.9GB, and April and May were actually 0GB of mobile data and then all of a sudden in June 20 PLUS GB!! And customer service is not helpful at all. They say this is normal and then try to get me to up my data plan. It is definitely NOT normal.

munday211

ChristianP_VZW Can you acknowledge me who posted originally? Why does Verizon offer nothing to long time customers when an issue occurs? I'm just told there is nothing they can do to reverse the charges and then they proceed to try to get me to go to a higher data plan which I don't want or need. If something glitches on my phone and data usage history has never shown a spike of data used to this extent previously before this is there nothing customer service can do to help? I'm obviously getting the phone checked to make sure whatever happened doesn't occur again, but I feel like something more could be done to help a customer when they receive a bill of $250 out of the blue.

0 Likes
Walkyr

We're having the same problem: somehow 3gb of data disappeared within an hour. I cannot get through to Verizon support either by phone, chat or messenger.  This is unacceptable service.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We can take a closer look into this usage on the account. Please send us a Private Note. 

0 Likes
Ann154
MVP MVP
MVP

Are you looking at the data usage on your MyVerizon account online or on the phone's data counter? 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We certainly want to ensure you get the highest level of support. I have sent a Private Note and will look forward to helping further. - YaleK_VZW

0 Likes