Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
horrendous Customer service.
MikeF86

I have been  a Verizon Wireless customer for over 20 years. I was with Alltel and GTE before being bought out. I left Verizon Fios due to terrible customer service and am now doing the same with Verizon Wireless. Between the High rates and lack of customer service for a long time loyal customer, I see no reason left to stay. Below is an account of the horrible service I have had to deal with including my experience at the local corporate store.  Hopefully others will take note.

This started back in July of last year (2020). After being taken off my grandfathered unlimited plan a few years back, I was put on a 8gb plan with carry over minutes. While in the mountains on vacation, the cabin we were staying at did not have internet so I was using my cell data. I had 4mb of carry over data for a total of 12gb.  I was now up to 11gb of usage and did not want to incur overage charges. I looked online and noticed that the same plan I was on now included 10gb of data. I called customer service to see about getting my existing plan updated to reflect the new allotment. This would have given me 14gb of data which was sufficient with no increase to my bill. Well the representative who took my call and helped make the changes failed to tell me that when she made the change I would lose the carryover minutes I had accrued. I discovered this the next morning when I checked to see if the plan reflected the extra mb. Obviously I needed more data, not less. 

So once we got back in town, I again called customer service to rectify the issue. I explained the situation to the guy who answered. He stated he didn't understand why the original rep didn't just put me and my wife on the non-advertised unlimited loyalty plan since we were such long time customers. Great I thought, Unlimited data once again for the same cost. Thanks Verizon for showing some love to your loyal longtime customers. Or so I thought. Unfortunately, he failed to mention that it is a garbage plan because it is always throttled to like 3g speeds.  Not after x amount of usage. We are talking from the word go. It took me a while to realize this as after returning from vacation, I have internet at home and work so don't use my cellular data that much.  Once I suspected the issue I went online to do a little research and that is when I found that indeed this hidden loyalty plan is always throttled. That's a nice slap in the face Verizon. Way to show apprectiation.

So when I finally got the strength to deal with this again, I called customer service and was routed to India. The rep I spoke to confirmed that the plan I was on was indeed throttled and that was why my speeds were slow. I asked if he could take the throttling off. He said he could not. So we talked about what options he could do for me and my wife. In the end he put both of us on one of Verizon's normal unlimited plans with a loyalty discount that was supposed to be only $7 more than what I was currently paying and didn’t have throttling.  Ok, this was acceptable.  So when my next bill came in I checked to see if it was only $7 more and indeed it was. I thought I was done but sadly that was not the case. Looking on the app on my phone under bill, there is a section that shows what the next bill is supposed to be. The estimate for the next billing cycle was $28 more, not the same $7. Why was this? Well once again the rep failed to mention that the $7 more he spoke of was only for the first month due to prorating. A full regular monthly cycle was actually $28 more. Again, more incompetence from Verizon' customer service. I was livid to say the least.

So once again I am calling Verizon customer service to straighten out all their mistakes and failures.  Once again I am routed to India.  When the rep answered, I told him very clearly I was not happy and was on the verge of leaving if they weren't willing to make up for all the aggravation and time spent dealing with this. I also explained that as a Spectrum business account holder, they are now offering unlimited mobile plans on Verizon's network with no taxes or fees for $45 a line and I was not under contract. If Spectrum can offer that rate then surely Verizon can as well, especially to a customer of over 20 years. He apologized for all the issues I had been having and put me on hold while he spoke to a manager to see how he could help me. After an extended hold, he came back and said he could not go as low as the $45 per line but offered to do $52 per line if we stayed. He said that was best they could do. Being a loyal type customer, I accepted the offer. From my experiences so far though, I was leery.  I kept checking my phone to see if the changes were implemented. After 4 days they were not. Having had enough, I decided go to a physical corporate store to get help face to face in lieu of Covid concerns. I was tired of dealing with people over the phone. At least if I am dealing in person, they have an obligation to help me. Or again so I thought. What transpired next was at a Corporate Verizon store. 

The rep who was assigned to me was helpful at first until he realized that I was not just looking to buy or upgrade a phone. I explained to him what was going on and asked if he could pull up my account and see if the changes promised to me showed up. Maybe they just hadn't posted yet. His reply was "that nothing was there and that there was no way I could have been promised that rate". I explained that I had been with Verizon for over 20 years and all the issues I had been having lately and that was what a manager authorized. His reply was "that he had been with Verizon for 19 years and no one has ever got a rate like that". Again I stated that they were trying to retain my business  and that Spectrum is offering $45/line and this is what Verizon came up with. He then stated "that if I had a better offer with another carrier I should leave Verizon". I was astounded to say the least. After that exchange, I told him to please get customer service on the line because I wanted to get to the bottom of this. He proceeded to call customer service. I was thinking he was going to get someone in support that Verizon employees use. Again to my astonishment, all he did was call the same customer service line that I could have called from the safety of my home. He set me up at a desk on a phone with another rep in India and left me to go help other customers. This was a slap in the face. I could have done that from home. This was the exact opposite as to why I went to a physical store to get help in the first place. Either your corporate stores are there to help existing customers or they are not?  

So, after getting nowhere with the random representative in India because he could either not understand me or the issue I was trying to solve, I asked for a manager. He transferred me to an Asian woman who's first question to me was "did I need someone who spoke Spanish?" To which I replied "no". I'm thinking to myself, Is this for real? After that, she tried to help me but between the ROOSTER crowing in the background and issues with the IP phone I was on in the store, it was a chore to get through all the details yet again. I literally felt like I was in the twilight zone. Finally, after bringing her up to speed, the IP phone I was on dropped the call. Totally frustrated and angry off, I left the store and drove straight home and contacted Spectrum to see how to precede switching carriers.

Never have I experienced such action poor customer service from a company in my life. Verizon should be ashamed of itself.

Re: horrendous Customer service.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We don't want to lose you, we hope that you reconsider. I am so very sorry for any misunderstanding or miscommunication. We would like to take a closer look at your account, I am sending a private message so that e can. Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
RobyCircus5

Same! I’ve been with them for over 20 years. After 1 1/2 years of NO HELP I finally decided that I’m switching. I pay too much money for subpar service and horrible customer service. I’ve been being charged $15 every other day as they’re claiming I’m suddenly using 1 Gig every other day. We have the 8 Gig  plan and rarely use half of those gigs. I know that’s literally impossible as we are under WiFi 99% of the time. So, we’re done. See ya Verizon. You’re losing customers who have been with you for decades due to your fraudulent charges and terrible customer service. I’m not sure what happened to them but whatever it is, they need to look at it and correct it. I however won’t wait. I’ve waited long enough. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We never want to see you go, RobyCircus5. I am happy to help you figure out your usage. Let's get to work on it. Please send us a Private Note and we can get started. 
JavierD_VZW

0 Likes