Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iPhone Streaming 15GB cap?
only2goats

Does streaming music on my iPhone count against the 15GB hotspot data cap?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: iPhone Streaming 15GB cap?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

only2goats, help is here to ensure that we are on the same page. When streaming music through your phone, while Wi-Fi is off, you will use your mobile data. Say for example, you use 22GB while streaming. If you then attempt to use hotspot, because you have already used 22GB of data, the hotspot could then experience prioritization. These are not two separate buckets of data. If you use one at the threshold, the other can be effected as well. Here's another example. If you use 15GB of mobile hotspot, but then use your device mobile data, you will have 7GB to use before you could experience prioritization. Does this help clarify? 

NatashaA_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

chris1060

If you're using your device as a hotspot to stream, yes, it counts against your 15 GB hotspot data allotment. If you're using your phone/tablets to do the streaming, no. The data used in this manner will be counted towards your 22GB line data allotment before depriortization. See this forum post for more details When will my data be deprioritized?

only2goats

Thank you, Chris.

chris1060

No problem. Glad to be of help.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We want to make sure that you are aware of how streaming works on your device and how it affects your data Only2goats. If you stream music on your phone, then it will count against your 22GB of usage, and you can get prioritized on your smartphone. You can read this (number 6 & 12) here: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/beyond-unlimited-faqs/ You will still have 15GB of LTE to use but can be prioritized at any time. If you have not reached the 22GB threshold on your phone, then you will have 15GB of LTE Hotspot. Does this make sense?

AmberF_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

only2goats

Thank you for the clarification.  I believe what you're saying is that I'm always subject to the 22GB prioritization threshold - whether streaming on my phone or using my phone as a mobile hotspot.  However, when I am not using my phone as a mobile hotspot, the data used while just streaming music does not count against the 15GB LTE hotspot threshold.

Thanks very much.

Steve [removed]

Personal information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service​.

Message edited by Verizon Moderator.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

only2goats, help is here to ensure that we are on the same page. When streaming music through your phone, while Wi-Fi is off, you will use your mobile data. Say for example, you use 22GB while streaming. If you then attempt to use hotspot, because you have already used 22GB of data, the hotspot could then experience prioritization. These are not two separate buckets of data. If you use one at the threshold, the other can be effected as well. Here's another example. If you use 15GB of mobile hotspot, but then use your device mobile data, you will have 7GB to use before you could experience prioritization. Does this help clarify? 

NatashaA_VZW

only2goats

Thank you Natasha.  This answers my question - it is now clear.

Steve

0 Likes
gonzo11

Hello - I have Verizon prepaid plan of unlimited data with mobile hotspot add on of 10 GB. If I have my laptop connected to my phone hotspot it is using hotspot data from the 10 GB. If I stream music from my phone at the same time i am on hotspot with the laptop, is it using data from my unlimited plan or the hotspot 10 GB?

0 Likes
gonzo11

0 Likes