Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
"FREE IPAD" IS NOT FREE, IT'S 485.00
jims007

I have a huge beef with a Verizon Store.

I ordered an Iphone 11 XS and when I got it, it was the wrong color. I went to the nearest Verizon Store in Lakeshore shopping center in San Francisco, where the Store Manager promised to exchange the iphone for the right color. He also offered me a "free iPad", saying the only charge would be the 18 dollars in Sales Tax.

When I returned to the store to Exchange Phones, the manager was not there, and the associate working would not accept the "wrong colored" phone. I had to BUY the phone in order to replace the incorrect phone, and was told to "Go online to return the wrong phone yourself".

OK, I was not happy, so when I went online to arrange a return and refund for the "wrong" phone, I saw that the "free Ipad" had a 485 dollar charge on it! What the F? 

This is a blatantly fraudulent practice of LYING to the customer. I am considering cancelling ALL of my Verizon services, filing a formal FCC and BBB complaint as well.

Talk about a lot of garbage! 

I am steaming mad over this garbage. we've been customers for 15 plus years and this is the treatment we get from this place. 

Jim Stinnett

0 Likes
Re: "FREE IPAD" IS NOT FREE, IT'S 485.00
Ann154
MVP MVP
MVP

Was the locations involved a corporate store or a third party premium retailer?

The iPad can still be sold with a service contract. This means little to no upfront costs besides the sales taxes and activation fee. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
jims007

It's a Verizon branded store, with Verizon signage on the windows and inside.

So it is a Verizon owned retail operation...or a really good fake.

0 Likes
Ann154
MVP MVP
MVP

Even a third party premium retailer will have Verizon Wireless signage on the exterior and inside the store. However there is a difference between the corporate stores and the third-party retailers. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Ann154
MVP MVP
MVP

What is the exact address of the store you visited? 

0 Likes
jims007

1513 Sloat Blvd

San Francisco, CA 94132

0 Likes
jims007

Apparently this store has a reputation to live up to. Here are the Yelp Reviews, inlcuding mine for this clip joint.

https://tinyurl.com/s89kzs7

And to answer the question, "Why did you fall for that scam?"  Let me just say, I don't automatically assume every retailer is dishonest and using the appearance of a legitimate corporate entity to fleece unsuspecting customers for a few hundred bucks.

I expect that they are like Most Retail operations that try to do business in an honest, straightforward way without having to trick, lie or otherwise mislead people in to doing business with them.

Sure, if I was truly savvy, I would not buy virtually anything, since in fact, every business is tempted to cheat a few cents here and there. In this case however , I guarantee that whatever they think they made off of me, will be offset by the irreparable damage they have done to themselves by thinking it was a good idea to rip off an old man.

0 Likes
Ann154
MVP MVP
MVP

@jims007 wrote:

1513 Sloat Blvd

San Francisco, CA 94132

That is the location of a third party retailer Victra. 

0 Likes
Ann154
MVP MVP
MVP

Even the Yelp page indicates it is a independent third party retailer and not a corporate store. Honestly after skimming the reviews on that page not including yours I would have chosen to go to a different store. I've had less than a positive experience with a different company acting as an authorized dealer for Verizon Wireless in the past. If I have to visit a Verizon Wireless store, I would much rather visit a corporate store even if that means driving out of my way to get there. 

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

@jims007 wrote:

I have a huge beef with a Verizon Store.

I ordered an Iphone 11 XS and when I got it, it was the wrong color. I went to the nearest Verizon Store in Lakeshore shopping center in San Francisco, where the Store Manager promised to exchange the iphone for the right color. He also offered me a "free iPad", saying the only charge would be the 18 dollars in Sales Tax.

When I returned to the store to Exchange Phones, the manager was not there, and the associate working would not accept the "wrong colored" phone. I had to BUY the phone in order to replace the incorrect phone, and was told to "Go online to return the wrong phone yourself".

OK, I was not happy, so when I went online to arrange a return and refund for the "wrong" phone, I saw that the "free Ipad" had a 485 dollar charge on it! What the F? 

But a free device would always show a charge and a balance, with a monthly credit to offset.   As in my screen shot:

8770AF4C-E297-4DF5-BBEF-EFA8654943BB.jpeg

0 Likes