Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
termination and device payment
mroland72

I'm wanting to switch providers and I owe ~$500 on my device.  When I cancel my service, can I pay my final bill (before the due date) in three separate payment.  IE,  use a gift card to pay $200 one day and $200 on one credit card another day and $100 with another card on the third day/transaction.  I know the device has to be paid in full but is there anything preventing me from paying my final bill in multiple transactions?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: termination and device payment
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

mroland72, we don't want you to go! Why are you considering leaving us?

Once you cancel services, the remaining balance for that device payment plan will be posted to your final billing statement. You will need to contact our Financial Services team at 866-266-1445 to make a payment arrangement.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Snn5
Sr. Leader

No, you have to pay the device off in one payment.  You cannot break up the device payment.

Can I pay more than my scheduled monthly device payment installment?

No. The only exceptions to making additional payments are:

• To pay off 100% of your device payment agreement balance.

• For customers on device payment agreements prior to 5/31/15, you may make the required payment to complete your upgrade.

Device Payment FAQs | Verizon Wireless

mroland72

Even if I port out and I have a final bill of $560?  I can pay a certain amount on my bill now.  Wouldn't the final bill include the device payment as a total bill?

0 Likes
Snn5
Sr. Leader

You said device payment right?  Not contract ETF?  I can only refer to the FAQ listed above and what it says:  You can only make more than the monthly payment if you are paying off the device 100% in full in one payment...which is also required with cancelling service on a line with a Device Payment option.  ETF payments on contract lines must also be paid 100% and not broken up. You'll need to condense your money onto one payment method.  IDK, maybe your new carrier will pay verizon, but typically, you pay first and show proof to the new carrier, then they reimburse you some way.

0 Likes
dilbertaz

I'm curious, if you were to make payments on your account three days in a row with different payment options and thus had a positive balance that happened to be the amount due to pay off your device would that work?

0 Likes
Snn5
Sr. Leader

IDK, I figure that by making a payment each payment is considered a separate payment, not that Verizon adds all payments for one month.

0 Likes
dilbertaz

I would assume though that when you go to close the account they would just take the account balance and apply it to the device payment regardless of how the account arrived at the balance, it would be one payment to pay the device off. 

0 Likes
Snn5
Sr. Leader

There is a limit to how much money you can have ahead on the account.  Verizon would never allow a $500 credit on the account.  Even Prepay has a limit.  Best thing OP can do is call to see if this arrangement can be made.  Might be best to port first and then get the final bill and make payments as possible.  But, typically, to buy a device in full and paid off, one must make one payment in full to be paid off per the A to the Q in the FAQ.

0 Likes
mroland72

You can't make a payment in excess of the account balance owed.   Tried that.  I'm going prepaid for a while and I don't want to waste the gift card I have.

0 Likes
dilbertaz

Ok, good to know, I haven't tried to pay in excess, thank you.

0 Likes