Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
upgrade fee
sk1980

It is so frustrating that Verizon charges $40 for an upgrade fee.  The customer service was very rude when dealing with them about this on 5/11/2020.  One of the reasons they both gave was that Verizon does not make you upgrade your phone.  While this is true, everyone knows that there phones need to be upgraded unless you don't want up to date software or a battery that has to be recharged multiple times per day.  It seems that Verizon is more often focused on getting new customers than trying to keep the ones they already have.  The first customer rep (Wendy) said that she could reduce the fee from 40 to 20 dollars after saying she could not do anything at all per Verizon policy.  I've been a customer for years, paying over $120 every month for my family plan, the fact that they would let 20-40 dollars in revenue keep them from keeping a long time customer is not right.  There have been many other phone companies helping out during these times such as ATT providing 3 months of service to healthcare workers (I'm a nurse by the way), but Verizon won't budge on 20-40 dollars.  I don't know about you, but I would say there priorities are not in the right spot.  I have asked them to cancel my service at the end of this billing cycle.  I will be taking my services elsewhere where I feel like a valued customer unless someone reads this and makes things right.

0 Likes
Re: upgrade fee
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

If you purchase the phone from Verizon online without the assistance of a rep, the upgrade fee is only $20. If you purchase an unlocked device directly from the manufacturer, there is NO upgrade fee. You simply have to remove your SIM card from your old device and insert it into the new device.

Hopefully you realize most providers you can switch to there will be an activation fee for each line of service. There will also be an upgrade fee every time you want to purchase another device. You are giving up Verizon to go with another provider which has the same policies?

0 Likes
sloanesignal

Upgrading all together is a joke at Verizon.  I have been trying to upgrade for three days now - have processed payment three times.  I finally just gave up and canceled the order ($2,000+ in phones and gear).  No one even bothered to reach out or try to help solve the issue-or even attempt to waive those ridiculous upgrade fees.  Everytime I try to get help, they give me some other task to do.  Customer service means you SERVE the customer, not the customer servicing your reps.  I'm more than happy to keep my money.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Upgrading should be easy and quick sloanesignal. I am so sorry for the trouble you have had with trying to get this done. We are always happy to help and get you set up with a new phone. I will send you a Private Note here and we can look into getting this done for you.

ErinW_VZW

0 Likes