4G LTE Network Extender (Askey) CLOSED mode
hergottdh
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just purchased this new extender since I only get 1 bar cell service where I live.  Wifi calling is not an option because my phone will still select the cell service vs wifi since there is just enough of a signal for it to connect.   and yes, I tried airplane mode and that works but I always forget to turn that off when I leave and then I miss calls.

anyway, this extender can be configured to operate in Open (default), Hybrid, and Closed access modes.   Open is no good as my connections quickly fill up since I live in a condo community.  Hybrid (preferred whitelist and open) works but my neighbors can still use my extender.   Closed is what I want but when I configure that it won't allow the whitelisted numbers to connect - in fact, no one can connect.   Can someone confirm that Closed mode is not an option on this new extender???  Has anyone configured that to work?

Note: you have to setup the mode and access list via your account on Verizon (manage devices) not the extender itself.  The extender will reboot when changing the access mode on the Verizon site to pickup those changes.

Looks to me that Verizon disabled the CLOSED option from working properly.   or maybe its just not working on my extender.

Labels (1)
Re: 4G LTE Network Extender (Askey) CLOSED mode
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

hergottdh, we thank you for reaching out regarding the mode of your Network Extender. At this time our LTE Network Extenders only support open mode. Please see the FAQ link below under Management and Security. We are working to provide more options in the future.

https://www.verizon.com/support/4g-lte-network-extender-faqs/%C2%A0/

Joshua

0 Likes
Stubbbsy
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same issue, two months later and still not fix despite the FAQs page saying "coming soon."

This is chewing into my data cap and often times the extender reaches capacity and I cannot even connect to it... What a waste of a quarter of a thousand dollars!!!

0 Likes
Stubbbsy
Enthusiast - Level 1

Any update on an ETA?

Really feeling the $250 sca m right now...

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there, Stubbbsy.
We understand your frustration, and we definitely don't want you to feel scammed. The device currently supports open mode, and we are not aware of a timeframe in which another mode may become available. You are welcome to send us a Private Note here for assistance or reach us on Facebook or Twitter. We appreciate your patience.*Celeste

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@Stubbbsy wrote:

Any update on an ETA?

Really feeling the $250 sca m right now...

Have you seen this recent post?  Sounds like they found a potential solution:

ASK-SFE116 Extender Locked in open mode?? - Verizon Community

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
jedresher1

My extender is in Closed mode and no phone can connect

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're here to assist with questions and concerns. Let's get started. Closed means Access to the Network Extender is restricted to numbers listed in the CSG (Closed Subscriber Group).

-Corey

0 Likes
Taylorj
Enthusiast - Level 3

This thing is the biggest piece of junk. It can't make it a closed network and it slows down your neighbors internet.  This thing should be illegal!

0 Likes
homebrewer4
Enthusiast - Level 1

if you go into your verizon account on your computer, click on my devices and find the network extender  details you can edit to change it to closed, its picky on where your mouse clicks but the upper left hand part of the selection dot and the upper left of the confirm button just worked for me and then i made a list of the phones that can connect and now the closed network is working fine for me.

hope this helps everyone