4G LTE Network Extender - phone not ringing, incoming calls going to voicemail
mekertzman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi - my wife and I both have iPhone 12 Pro Max phones, so they're the latest.  We live in a very marginal/no signal Verizon location (Ignacio Valley, Novato, California).  I've always had trouble getting WiFi calling to work, as it seemed like sometimes it appeared and sometimes it didn't depending on whether the phone was seeing a weak Verizon signal.

We got a 4G LTE Network Extender - easy setup, works great for outgoing calls, 4 bar signal strength through the whole house, #48 always shows connected to extender.  However, even when I'm sitting a few feet from the extender, calls seems to not ring and go to voicemail.  

I'd appreciate any thoughts or ideas.

Thanks!

Re: 4G LTE Network Extender - phone not ringing, incoming calls going to voicemail
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@mekertzman wrote:

Hi - my wife and I both have iPhone 12 Pro Max phones, so they're the latest.  We live in a very marginal/no signal Verizon location (Ignacio Valley, Novato, California).  I've always had trouble getting WiFi calling to work, as it seemed like sometimes it appeared and sometimes it didn't depending on whether the phone was seeing a weak Verizon signal.

We got a 4G LTE Network Extender - easy setup, works great for outgoing calls, 4 bar signal strength through the whole house, #48 always shows connected to extender.  However, even when I'm sitting a few feet from the extender, calls seems to not ring and go to voicemail.  

I'd appreciate any thoughts or ideas.

Thanks!

Is WiFi calling ON?  You might try turning it OFF to see if that helps.   What type of internet service and what are the download/upload speeds do you have the extender connected to?  There may be other threads discussing extender issues with iPhones.  Try searching the Forum.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
Re: 4G LTE Network Extender - phone not ringing, incoming calls going to voicemail
mekertzman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks.  WiFi calling was still on.  I turned it off - we'll see if that helps.  On internet service, I have Comcast gigabit service.  The phone is getting about 250mbps down and 40mbps up, so that should be enough for the extender!  🙂

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to do everything we can to resolve this ASAP so that you can receive all your calls. When did this issue first start?  Is this happening with all calls or just some incoming calls?

0 Likes
mekertzman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for following up.  This has been going on as long as I’ve had the 4G LTE Extender.  To be fair, it used to happen on WiFi calling as well, but I thought the WiFi calling issue was that VZW WiFi used to come and go, and my theory was that there was occasionally a weak VZW signal that made the phone think it was on the cellular network and drop WiFi calling.  I’d love to see Apple and Verizon agree to make a setting on the iPhone to “prefer WiFi” when making calls - that would solve the problem.

I find it hard to tell which calls get through and which go to voicemail.  Many calls go to voicemail that were junk and my guess is Verizon Call Filter is doing its job and sending them straight to voicemail.  However, some calls are on my contact list and go to voicemail without ringing the phone.

In reading the community posts, I see a fair number of people who have a similar problem, although not necessarily with the Extender.  Some of them write that they called tech support and the problem was fixed in the network, not at their local end.  Does that sound at all familiar or possible to you?

Mitchell

0 Likes
ssprill
Contributor - Level 2

I have the same issue (calls go to voice mail, no ring, no missed call message) when using Askey LTE Extender.  This occurs with both Wifi calling on/off.  This is my sons Extender that he uses when he works remotely at my house.  He is postpaid.  I have a prepaid account but this is happening with both his postpaid and my prepaid phones.  Prepaid support did research and they said that they see the Extender rejecting calls but they could not offer any additional help because only postpaid supports the Extender.  Post paid support says that this issue occurs because I am a prepaid customer but this also happens on my sons postpaid phone.  I have kind of given up after many hours with support with no resolution. 

Verizon needs to find out why the Askey LTE Extender sometimes rejects calls and sends them directly to voice mail. 

0 Likes
mekertzman
Enthusiast - Level 3

I’m postpaid and always have been.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, there. We completely realize how vital it is to have your calls connect, and we are here to help. Can you please send us a Private Message, so we can discuss? 

0 Likes
mekertzman
Enthusiast - Level 3

I already have another Private Message exchange going with vzw_customer_support.  I'm not sure whether there are different support people on different threads.  Can you give me some direction?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mekertzman, thank you for confirming this information. We are all one team. If you are already working in a Private Message thread there will be no need to start a new one. 

0 Likes