Re: 4G Network Extender Issues
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We’d like to take a closer look at the service issue for you, Mps991 and continue working towards a solution. We appreciate your patience.

I was able to send you a private message to go over a few account details. We look forward to working with you.

SteveR_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

SCRECH1, I see how this experience would damage your faith in the network extender's abilities. We're here to help resolve this. You data is working well because you have a 4G network extender. However, voice calls do not need to use data in order to operate. I would definitely turn off your HD/Advanced calling feature. Do calls work better for you now?

MarcusS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
jerro
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes you will see that Many Others have the Same Issue Since the Update! Since you said it was working with your iPhone we can assume that they are not a iPhone 7 because they are Very Problematic with this unit.

If I were you and no one calls you back from VZW, I'd do this #1 Do a Power Cycle, if as expected it does not help then #2 do a Factory Reset. # 3 leave it alone for maybe an hour. Then unless it works fine, #3  Power cycle Again. Unplug the Power from the Back of the unit NOT the wall only, yes it really matters!  Give it 1/2 hour and see if it starts working one each phone. I noticed it sometimes starts working with one phone at a time then all. It may take a few test calls on the more reluctant phones.

If it works it will probably go nuts at some unknown time and date When it gets remotely reset by whomever again. If so start the process over until they do a Real Fix...

BTW just to clear the deck,

May want to also restart your Router and Modem or ONT while your Network Extender is off and before restarting it. No of this can hurt and may help for a while!

0 Likes
jerro
Enthusiast - Level 3

What happened to the EDIT after posting option? It won't go there anymore, just wanted to clean up a few typos in last post.

0 Likes
jerro
Enthusiast - Level 3

**Like in prior reply wanted to replace No with None, on the last line.

0 Likes
Mps991
Enthusiast - Level 3

Did try your fix but had no effect. It seems Verizon really does not want these things to work. Very crazy.

I had some of my neighbors who are also on Verizon come in and try their phones out. The extender says in service but it is not connecting to anyone phone. back to the way the last one was.

Like I said this one lasted 3 weeks. I am getting very tired of having to rely on a troublesome piece of technology just to make calls.

There has to be a better way. And I will find it.  Thanks for all your help.

0 Likes
jerro
Enthusiast - Level 3

It almost always works in my situation. If you do a full Factory Reset via a Paper Clip let it sit a while then do at least 1 full Power Cycle, it should come back after a while. I have had to wait a hour or more sometimes and make several test calls then like magic it becomes solid.

BTW. If anyone does a Factory Reset, go to the Extenders WEB Page and readjust its power back up to where it was. Mine always reverts to 20% on any Factory Reset, I then adjust it back to 100%...  IF you just do Power Cycling the Power setting won't change. 

Sometimes a couple of power cycles alone set it on a path to recovery. That is what I did this week when the new unit went nuts since a Remote Reset was done without anyone informing me. Good luck, sure is a pain!

0 Likes
PeteBoston
Contributor - Level 1

The other part of this which drives me crazy (and I have opened a Tier 3 case on this previously and it never got a useful answer) is why the unit is constantly being forced back to 20% power from their server.  There is something broken here, I set it to 100%, they should not constantly be overwriting my power value every few days / weeks.  I have probably had to reset it back to 100% power at least 2 dozen times since I got the unit.  I would open a new Tier 3 case, but that process is so painful, it takes -hours- for them to fill in the required information on the form.

Logs say: 08-03-2017 02:54:31 EDT    Parameter Configuration in progress

once that happens, my unit is pushed back to 20% power which is not enough to service my house.

What I still don't know about the problem is if the issue is that it is simply not pushing out 100% power even when I set it to 100% power or if it has some type of memory leak issue where after some time, it thinks more users are on it than actually are and it stops me from connecting to my own Network Extender reliably.

0 Likes
jerro
Enthusiast - Level 3

Somehow my reply disappeared so here's another attempt.

Someone or something is factory resetting the units externally evidenced by the return to 20% power. That is not going to happen with a simple Power Cycle only a reset. And given the late or overnight hours that it does so, its not likely the unit ,rather its external.

I did find that the unit has the capability available to automatically adjust power based on the neighboring macro cells power output. Given its rudimentary web page that information's not going to show up there.

Keeping WiFi Calling ON in addition to Advance Calling is a good backup for when the extender goes nuts. Of course WiFi calls won't hand off.

Its likely also that the unit will get a White List sooner then later if they don't ditch the thing and move to another vendor.They should!

For now my plan is to Power Cycle as needed especially after a random reset.

0 Likes
PeteBoston
Contributor - Level 1

I don't think it's actually a human, it is some broken process. There are actually two issues at play and I don't think they are related. The bouncing back to 20% power has happened to me since Day One (over a year ago), I have opened 3 escalated cases on it and never had this resolved. Once you set it back to 100%, you seem to need to reboot the network extender before it appears to take effect then within a few days or weeks, you'll see the message above I noted from the logs around 2-4 AM and the device will be back to 20% power setting again.

The new problem which seems to either be related to 2.0.0.01 SLS-BU103 SW upgrade or 10.3.3  on the iPhone is that you can actually watch the phone bounce off and on the network extender about every minute or two, when it bounces off, that's when I'm being sent off to either a really poor macro cell signal or VZW WiFi.  This is the new(er) problem which causes the thing to be completely unstable.

I have done two things today on this.

For Verizon, I opened my 3rd or 4th NRB case on this, which I doubt will go anywhere and I also escalated to Executive support this evening.

Additionally, I opened up a bugreport with Apple and am going to send them over cellular logs and a sysdiagnose so that they can tell me whether this is their fault or the Network Extenders.

0 Likes