Another extender with all blue lights, no connection
KMH20K9

Neither my Iphone 7 or a LG flip phone from work will connect to my Samsung extender.  It has worked well for several years.  I normally show almost a full signal in my house, but the *48 test fails and so do any calls I try to initiate or receive on either phone.  All blue lights are on solid, I've rebooted the router, cable modem, the extender and my phone.  Tried all of the suggested troubleshooting tests.  No other internet connection issues on my other network devices.  I don't see how the advanced calling feature mentioned in some other related threads could affect the flip phone, so I'm assuming the extender could be bad.  I did turn it off to no avail.  Any suggestions for the next step down the rabbit hole?  

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Another extender with all blue lights, no connection
KMH20K9

Update:  I went through about an hour troubleshooting call with Verizon yesterday.  We were unable to determine what the problem was, but I was told the last successful call using the extender was 2 weeks ago.  The next step was to call Samsung support to check the firmware version, but they were closed yesterday.  Nice support lady asked that I call back today.  

Not sure why, but the device suddenly started working again this morning.  Will see how long that lasts.

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

Thanks for the update. Gremlins?  It's sure frustrating when something mysteriously starts working again after someone looks into it.  Would be nice if someone 'fessed up to what they did or found.  Could be a network database containing your extender's MAC ID was corrupted and finally got reset/updated.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're glad to hear your network extender is back up and running, KMH20K9. It's very possible the extender received a necessary update to get it back online.

Advanced calling would affect a 4G LTE device on a 3G network extender, and the flip phone would only be impacted if it's a 4G LTE model. If it goes off line again, please do keep us posted.

LynnD_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
KMH20K9

one more update.  It didn't work for long.  Another hour on the phone with support and there doesn't seem to be a definitive test for if it is good or bad.  No 3g or 4g extenders in stock from what I'm told so the options seem only to be replace the company flip phone with something that can use wifi calling or live with unreliable signal on that device.  Apparently even if the new extenders were available, the old flip phone won't work with them.  I could walk down the road about 50 yards for every call.

Guess I could roll the ebay dice and buy a used one, but if it isn't the extender it could be money down the drain.  Tried that once before and the one I bought didn't work. 

At least my personal phone is wifi capable.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the update, KMH20K9. Most new devices all support Wi-Fi calling, so the age of network extenders is coming to an end. Even new basic phones have access to advanced calling and support Wi-Fi calling. We wouldn’t want you to have to roll the dice with a used network extender to see if it helps improve your old flip phones service. Was there something holding you back from upgrading this device into a smartphone, or a new flip phone that supports Wi-Fi calling?
You can take a look at our lineup of new basic phones here (ones listed at LTE will support Wi-Fi calling): https://www.verizonwireless.com/basic-phones/ and all of our smartphones support Wi-Fi calling; you can view them here (including certified pre-owned by selecting that option under special offers): https://www.verizonwireless.com/smartphones/

JosephE_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes