Full bars with Extender, but still poor calls
Steeeeeve
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi all. The signal in my house is terrible (one bar and -118dBm). I just got a Network Extender 2 from Verizon for my unlocked Note 8 because Verizon will not allow Wi-Fi calling on my unlocked phone. I set up the extender without incident and my signal is a full 5 bars (and -68dBm). But I still get broken up calls and the occasional dropped call. Can anyone give me any insight here? I'm at a loss as to what to do next. Thanks in advance!

Labels (1)
Re: Full bars with Extender, but still poor calls
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Steeeeeve, I want you to be able to make phone calls in the comfort of your own home. Indoor services can be impacted by many factors such as building material, line of sight to the towers, foliage, terrain, etc and the Network Extender 2 will help improve the service while indoors. Our 4G smartphones will use the HD Voice feature and this will make the phone use the LTE signal to make phone calls. Unfortunately, this feature is not available on your non-VZW Samsung Galaxy Note 8. Your device will use the 1X signal to make/receive calls and this is why you are still experiencing issues with the phone calls. The Network Extender 2 has improved the LTE signal, however, it will not improve the 1X signal. 

ZangY_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Steeeeeve
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the reply. My phone has VoLTE Calls activated. Isn't that the same as HD Voice?

Should my calls be better or worse with my Wi-Fi on versus off and using LTE? Or should there be no difference?

Is there no other solution other than to go to another provider? My cell phone is my business line and I can't run a business like this.

Steeeeeve
Enthusiast - Level 3

Checking back in on this for a reply. Thanks.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is a great question, and we want to make sure that we look into everything because we would never want to lose you as a customer, Steeeeeve.  VoLTE is the same as HD Voice or Advanced Calling.  If your device supports it and you have VoLTE activated and provisioned on your account, then it should work on your network extender 2 as that device only creates a LTE signal.  There are many variables that can cause this performance issue.  One thing that you can test is to see what network technology your device is using when you actually place a phone call.  One way to do that is to place a call to someone or even a test call to #832.  While on the call, go to Settings > About Phone > Status and view your signal strength and Mobile Network type.  If your phone shows 1xRTT when you are connected to a phone call, then VoLTE is not turned on or active, therefore your voice calls are still being processed on the cell tower instead of the network extender.  If it shows LTE, then you have VoLTE turned on, and we would need to look into your DSL or Cable connection as there are specific performance requirements needed for it to work perfectly.  Please let us know what it shows when you place a call and check your signal strength along with Mobile network type. 

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!! 

0 Likes
Steeeeeve
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the reply. I made the test call and my phone says that the Mobile Network type is LTE! My signal strength is -58dBm. I'd love to hear any suggestions you have to improve my call quality. I have a cable connection for internet service. Thanks.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

A signal of -58 dBm is a beautiful signal level! That's practically a perfect signal.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Steeeeeve
Enthusiast - Level 3

LOL, so why am I having cut-outs and dropped calls?!

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't know. I'm not familiar with network extenders with regards to how they function or sound when you use them. My guess is maybe the broadband connection isn't fast enough to support the extender and your regular internet usage at the same time. At the very least, you should rule that possibility out.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Steeeeeve
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully VZWSupport has some ideas to look into to get this corrected. Doesn't sound like I should be having any issues with cut-outs or dropped calls at all.

0 Likes