Galaxy S5 will not use 3G on NE
luvxlr8tn
Enthusiast - Level 2

We live just close enough to a 4G tower that my S5 will not choose the Network Extender that Verizon made be buy.  My Note4 has no problem, but the S5 constantly swaps between 1X on the network extender and the nearby 4G tower [which is like 110db].

Anyone have a hack for the S5 to get it to actually use the 3G tower in my house?

I've tried all of the "mobile network" settings that are in the factory settings, and am now at the end of my rope.   Even when rebooting the device, it will pickup the 3G NE, but as soon as the signal drops below 80db, it drops it in favor of the much weaker 4G outside.

This all combined with recent changes to VZW plans... I'm ready to suck it up and switch to Tmobile.

Any good ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Galaxy S5 will not use 3G on NE
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

This is interesting. You get better speeds on 3G than you do 4G? I wouldn't rely solely on db numbers. Someone posted on their numbers and they very closely matched mine and my service was fine. Have you ran a speed test?

Have you gone into settings>more networks>more networks>network mode and tried changing to the an option other than Global?

0 Likes
luvxlr8tn
Enthusiast - Level 2

can't run data through the Network Extenders. all data goes wifi. it's really some kind of issue with the S5, I guess, that it won't use the NE for anything other than 1X... which kills the battery.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

I guess I'm still confused. Why did you get the Network Extender? It's only good for 3G services and phone calls (1x.) It won't improve your data speeds.

luvxlr8tn
Enthusiast - Level 2

There is limited/no cell signal in the house. SMS and calls would not go through. Had to buy the NE to allow these services so I could delete my landlines. Haven't been able to delete the landlines because the NE is so flaky.

Really need to figure out why our phones don't consistently use the NE and why SMS is so poor via the NE.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Which direction is the NE facing? Is it near a window? Who's your internet provider and what speed do you pay for? How old is the S5?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I have no fix for the NE issues other than to sell it for what you can on eBay (people will still pay upwards of $200+ for it) and use that money to buy a 4G WeBoost amplifier from Wilson Amplifiers.

0 Likes
luvxlr8tn
Enthusiast - Level 2

The NE is functioning well for the other 3 phones in the house. All 4

lights are blue and my Galaxy Note 4 works ok on it (nothing seems to

work great on it). The Galaxy S5, which is probably a gen-1 phone but

has been updated consistently by VZW and is not rooted, is the only

device that is having problems with the NE.

For broadband, we have 25Mbps/2Mbps (asymmetric) from Comcast. I don't

really think, but I guess I don't know for sure, that the NE is

malfunctioning.

I'll see if I can get some time today to call VZW Network Extender

support... that's always a good time...

On 2015-11-15 08:54, MiiHere wrote:

A message from the Verizon Wireless Community

GALAXY S5 WILL NOT USE 3G ON NE

created by MiiHere in Network Extender - View the full discussion

0 Likes