How do I disconnect my phone from network extender?
danaeplaysdrums
Enthusiast - Level 1

My mother and I have been having issues with our phones not sending texts and dropped phone calls due to both basic phones being connected to a neighbor's network extender. I would talk to the neighbor except for the fact that, after researching this, turning it to private does nothing. It is a managed mode, not a completely restricted mode, therefore outside lines are still able to connect to it. It even says prioritized in the setting. Is there any other possible way to fix this issue?

Labels (1)
Re: How do I disconnect my phone from network extender?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Danaeplaysdrums, thanks for reaching out to us and I apologize for this inconvenience. I know how important it is to have a working device at home. Let's work together and get this issue resolved for you, the Network Extender does have an option to manage access of who connects to the device. The owner of the Network Extender will have to configure this in the Network Extender access settings in My Verizon. Here's additional information on how to configure access settings and please keep us posted with your progress. http://vz.to/2cUS3tp 

GersonG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
gtarbmx
Enthusiast - Level 1

This answer is not satisfactory. I have the same problem in multiple places I work in. The repeater essentially functions as a signal blocker. I have no way of knowing which house the repeater is placed so this is something Verizon needs to solve or at least give us a way to disable it. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, gtarbmx, I apologize if that wasn't enough information to work for your situation, and I was able to research, to find a bit more for you. If you go into your Settings, and turn off your Advanced Calling (LTE) feature, that will allow your device to disconnect from the Verizon network extender. You can also disable your data and use the Wi-Fi calling feature when available.

TinaN_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
VRZNmtns
Enthusiast - Level 1

Disabling the cell data does NOT resolve the issue. 

KattFace789
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is a major issue, and once again seems Verizon has no interest in actually fixing the problem. I pay $200 a month to NOT be able to load any apps or send texts? How is my phone just automatically connecting to someone else device? How do I know this is even safe for me!? I do not see a single Rep from Verizon will any real solid answers, just seems like some garbage and guesses. Go tell your neighbor to update their settings!? Turn off my own LTE calling!? Don't I pay for that!? Wow - once again, not impressed with Verizon. I will be keeping record of each day my phone is not working, and I will be expecting a discount on my next bill. What is the point of FAQ? What is the point of online chat? The chick didn't even know what the house symbol was, also didn't offer any suggestions to fix my issue. 

jav6
Champion - Level 3

On my Droid Turbo 2, normally connecting to my 3G Network Extender, going into Advanced Calling and turning it ON with HD Voice only ON, disconnects from the extender.  I don't know if this would work with the 4G Network Extender connections though.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
jav6
Champion - Level 3

Also, going into Cellular network settings and changing Preferred network type from Global or LTE/CDMA to LTE/GSM/UMTS also disconnects from my 3G Network Extender.  Not sure of the ramifications though.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@KattFace789 ,

I'm sorry to hear your phone has been connecting to another person's network extender. As these devices are made to work with compatible Verizon devices within range, it would be under the control of the owner of that extender to set up a White List that only allows certain phones from working with it. This is a recommendation we make for all users that get a network extender for use in a populated area, like an apartment or town home setting, as we are unable to manage that on behalf of the network extender owner. When your phone connects to an Extender, it uses that person's home Wi-Fi to transfer your call to a cell tower. If you are far from the device, like what you've described, you will be able to connect to it but calls will have trouble. Outside of knowing who exactly has the network extender and asking them to use their White List, making sure your HD Voice feature is turned on will prevent it from connecting to older model extenders (this is not a factor with newer models). I am not sure what you mean by turning off LTE Calling, but if you have home Wi-Fi for yourself I would suggest trying Wi-Fi Calling, since that would make your phone handle calls through that instead of searching for the extender: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/wifi-calling-faqs/

RussellM_VZW

verizonuser37
Enthusiast - Level 1

this is nuts, let me not connect to an extender!