Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
How to fix Server Error 5A on the LTE Network Extender
dasvolk

Hey folks - I have seen numerous threads about this now and I have figured this out on my own. I have been in the IT business for about 20 years, and there are only so many things that can go wrong when configuring a device like this. The reason that Server Error 5A happens is that when it's connected to a router (which is many of us) Verizon is looking for the MAC address of the LTE Extender when it connects to their CMP certificate server. The problem is, most of the time your home router makes it look like the traffic is coming from its own MAC address, and Verizon won't be able to provision your LTE Extender automatically as a result.

There are a few ways around this problem. The easiest is if your router supports changing its MAC address, which is a common feature. I have a TP-Link router, so my page looks like this: 

dasvolk_0-1650813264774.png

It doesn't really matter to most ISPs what MAC address is shown to them, so you can leave it as is.

Another method is to directly connect the LTE Extender to your internet connection, bypassing the router. This may or may not be an option depending on your setup, but should at least give you the ability to test and see if the router is inducing the error.

You can also contact Verizon, but don't use the chat feature - no one there knows what you're talking about. Believe me, I tried several times.

Finally, there are two firewall ports that matter here - UDP 500 & 4500. Set up port triggering for those two ports, or configure the firewall to allow those. Hopefully this is helpful, and please feel free to reply with questions about your specific setup, I will do my best to help.

0 Likes
Re: How to fix Server Error 5A on the LTE Network Extender
kh-taylarie

For issues related to 5G Home, please refer to the 5G Home page on the Verizon Fios Community.  

0 Likes