Re: Increasing reception in outlaying areas...
jav6
Champion - Level 3

What make and model router do you have for your 4g Network Extender to connect to? We can look at the admin/user guides for that router to see what configuration might help.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Yes, I think this person has some particular settings in the router that are preventing it from going online, and I suspect it's the firewall, or maybe even MAC filtering. Who knows what was and wasn't set up on the router.

In order to really help this person, someone is going to have to log into his computer, or he'll have to share his computer screen and talk him through the various screens and settings.

We are probably just "enabling him" to think he can *easily* do this himself. I think he really needs to speak to Samsung Tech Support (not a ding against VZW Support), it's just that a range of expertise is required if his router is doing anything but supporting a wifi connection to his modem.

Alternatively, maybe he's got a neighbor that is in IT and knows networking, or there's a neighborhood adolescent who's set up his or her high-end game system and knows enough to be "dangerous" that could lend a hand.

It's really sad. The device should be almost plug and play, but the smallest of modifications to one's router takes one right off script. One would think that if one has to pony up the $$$ to get an extender because their signal is marginal, it comes with in-house installation, specially for people dealing with health issues in the home that rely on the service. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
ADFAMCORP

Hi,

My router is a Verizon LTE internet and home phone... SKU NOVT1114V...

John

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Wait a minute. Are you attempting to add a cellular network extender to a router that is also connected to the Verizon Wireless LTE network? If so, why?

The network extender is intended to provide you with a micro cell tower within your house and it requires a connection to a landline based Internet service.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Wow talk about off script? He's attempting to extend service and is using a router that provides WiFi via the very Verizon service he's trying to extend? My brain hurts!

Good thing you flagged that.

This poor person. Who recommended this setup?

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It certainly provides a possible explanation for why it wasn't working properly.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

Actually, not necessarily.  The network extender needs an internet connection provided by a router.  There  should be no reason (I can see) this couldn't be provided by the Verizon LTE Router.  John apparently has an external antenna boosting the 4G signal to his router.  The normal 4G signal (not available from the LTE router) may not be strong enough for his local phones which is what the 4G Network Extender would provide.  It still looks like a config issue in the LTE Router SETTINGS that might be blocking access from the network extender device or there needs to be PORT FILTERING adjusted or a CUSTOM APPLICATION defined allowing the required ports for the network extender. Here is a link to the LTE Router User Guide: https://ss7.vzw.com/is/content/VerizonWireless/Devices/Verizon/Userguides/verizon-LTE-internet-home-...

UNLESS: There would be a conflict/confusion with the LTE Router's 4G signal acquisition IF the 4G Network Extender ever got to a point where it was providing a 4G local signal....geez.....

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is creating a circular loop. The LTE router connects the nearest cellular tower to connect with the Verizon Wireless network. The network extender creates a micro cell tower within the building and transmits the calls, text and data over a broadband internet connection. The extender is intended to be used when the external cell tower signal is too weak inside the building. If you connect an extender to a LTE router, the extender is now the closest tower and the LTE router will connect to it instead of the weak external tower. Circular.

4G LTE Network Extender FAQs | Verizon Wireless

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Yeah, what Ann wrote. Smiley Happy

Ann, you think this person's solution might have been an amplifier?

weBoost 470103 Connect 4G Signal Booster Kit

or

weBoost 471104 Connect 4G-X Extreme Signal Booster Kit

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

John said 'I ended up with an external aerial 30 ft in the air on a tower' indicating he has an external antenna for his LTE Router.  Wouldn't this be OUTSIDE the range of the 4G Network Extender? Are we sure the 4G Network Extender is even at the point of sending the local 4G signal if it hasn't even established the IPsec connection to the Verizon Security Gateways?

0 Likes