LTE Network Extender stopped working after switch to 5G Home Internet
JCV813

Six months ago, we installed a Verizon LTE Network Extender due to very poor cell phone signals inside our home. Before installing the Network Extender, we could only get 1 bar on our phones, had lots of issues with call quality and would have to move to one particular area of our home to ensure our calls would not drop. After installing the Network Extender, our phones picked up 4 bars of signal inside our home. All was running well until we decided to test the new 5G Home Internet due to an upgraded signal from a nearby tower. The 5G Home Internet Gateway device is able to grab a signal from inside our home and we are averaging 280 Mbps download which is comparable to what we were getting on Spectrum cable. However, the LTE Network Extender no longer connects - it stalls out on the “Connecting to SeGW Server” section of the boot process. I’ve rebooted it multiple times and tried connecting its Ethernet port directly to the 5G Home Internet Gateway device, but every time it sits and spins at the SeGW Server step. I think the issue is that with Spectrum, we were averaging about 23 Mbps upload and with the Verizon 5G Home Internet, we are averaging about 9 Mbps upload. I believe the LTE Extender needs a minimum of 10Mbps upload so the 5G Home Internet isn’t providing enough upload bandwidth for the Extender to work. Without the LTE Extender working, the upgraded signal from the nearby tower has now given us 2 bars of signal so our cell phone signal is OK inside the house, but I’m curious if others are running into a similar issue with their LTE Extender after switching over the the new 5G Home Internet.  

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: LTE Network Extender stopped working after switch to 5G Home Internet
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello there! We're sorry for the trouble. Unfortunately, the 5G home internet is not compatible with the Network Extender. That's the reason why you keep getting the error. Have you tried using Wi-Fi calling? https://www.verizon.com/support/wifi-calling-faqs/  ~Aaron

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello there! We're sorry for the trouble. Unfortunately, the 5G home internet is not compatible with the Network Extender. That's the reason why you keep getting the error. Have you tried using Wi-Fi calling? https://www.verizon.com/support/wifi-calling-faqs/  ~Aaron

0 Likes
JCV813

Thanks for the update on this to confirm the Network Extender will not work with the 5G Home Internet.  I’m aware Wi-Fi Calling is an option, but I’d like to improve the overall signal so might explore a 5G booster antenna.  I have a neighbor just a few houses away that also made the switch, but their house has a more direct line of sight to the tower than I do, and they are getting a full 5GUW signal.  They are getting over 500 Mbps downloads and 50 Mbps uploads so it’s frustrating that their speeds are nearly double mine just a few houses away thus the thinking that a booster antenna might improve my signal and bandwidth.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Our goal is to make sure that you have the best wireless experience possible at that location. An LTE Network Extender enhances your indoor and 4G LTE data and voice coverage. It works with connections that provide a minimum broadband speed of 10 Mbps downlink and 5 Mbps uplink. However, a broadband connection of 20 Mbps downlink or 10 Mbps uplink or higher is recommended. However, call quality can be affected when your broadband connection is being used simultaneously by bandwidth-intensive activity. Factors such as the type and speed of your broadband connection will influence the impact to call quality. We hope that this explanation is helpful to you. 

-Lasina

0 Likes