Network Extender 2 Priority access list/ Limit access
EarlWojo22

I have upgraded my network extender to the network extender 2.  I do not see a way to prioritize which cell phones can connect.  I live in a community where homes are 10 feet apart and I really do not want my neighbors consuming my wireless bandwidth.  How can I prevent others from using my network extender 2 capacity?  

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Network Extender 2 Priority access list/ Limit access
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@EarlWojo22 wrote:

I have upgraded my network extender to the network extender 2.  I do not see a way to prioritize which cell phones can connect.  I live in a community where homes are 10 feet apart and I really do not want my neighbors consuming my wireless bandwidth.  How can I prevent others from using my network extender 2 capacity?  

The only option is to reduce the signal strength generated by the extender.  You should be able to reduce it so it doesn't extend to your neighbors.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for reaching out to us today. Reliable service is a must and we want to help in any way we can. In reviewing the user guide for the extender, it appears that the option to whitelist devices was removed. Are you having trouble using your service?

RogelioZ_VZW

0 Likes
jimfer1

I would have the same question, but presume that if the neighbors don't realize there is a network extender signal available, and they don't dial #48, they should not connect to your network extender and use your LAN bandwidth. VZW_customer_support, is this correct?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jimfer1, thank you for sharing info with our customers in the community forum. The Network Extender 2 is an exceptional device. When calling #48 on your mobile device, you'd listen for this announcement: "Welcome to Verizon Wireless. You are on 4G LTE Network Extender coverage with ID XYZ." This announcement verifies that the 4G LTE Network Extender is functioning properly and that it has registered your 4G LTE device. However, it's very important that our customers are made aware of its benefits as well as the eligibility requirements when using it. The 4G LTE Network Extender 2 isn't a router, so it's not Wi-Fi capable. For more information about this unique device, we encourage our customers to visit our website at http://spr.ly/6609Gd6nf*  We're confident that this information will be helpful to you. - RobertC_VZW

0 Likes
rvortman
Enthusiast - Level 3

jimfer1, it doesn't matter if the neighbors know that there's a Network Extender next door or not. If they're within range of your Network Extender, their calls will use your Network Extender. I know that at least one of our neighbors, maybe more, are using my Network Extender, since I see it in the connection data that's provided. There are only two of us, and I frequently see 3 or 4 connections listed as the "maximum number of simultaneous connections".

That's one problem that the original 3G Network Extender didn't have, since it had something called "management". You could have a list of people and their phone numbers, and only they would be allowed to use your Network Extender. The way that these new ones work is tantamount to me providing an extension of the Verizon Wireless infrastructure for my neighbors, and offering them a free piece of the internet that I pay for. There's also the issue that if enough neighbors are using your Network Extender, then you and your housemates may not be able to.

Too bad that Verizon isn't more proactive for their users on this one in providing the tools that we need to manage these.

0 Likes
GumbyDammit223
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unfortunately you can't.  There are many other threads here talking about this same problem and Verizon couldn't care less.  It's essentially theft of service - both the people who are accessing our extenders AND Verizon for allowing it to happen.  However there is an even bigger liability Verizon had better watch out for - someone in your apartment complex calls 911 for a heart attack and it goes through your extender and EMS comes to your apartment.  Oops!  Someone just died because Verizon has to f-with the firmware disabling this function.

I DO like to unplug the extender when I see more than my phone connected to it.  I just hope whoever is stealing my service is trying to talk to their long lost relative at the time!

0 Likes