Network Extender
SunDevilR

The Verizon cell service in my area is so beyond atrocious that I got fed up enough to file a complaint with the state utility regulator, demanding Verizon build more towers in my area.  Instead, two days later a free to me (i.e. discounted to $0) network extender was on its way.  Now at least all four bars on my 7+ are lit up.  However, apparently the NE is open, so that I can't control who is eating my bandwidth, nor even if I will get priority over the neighbors. 

If someone with 4G NE knowledge can please answer the following, I'd appreciate it.

1) How many total cell phones and/or tablets can connect to my NE and eat my bandwidth?

2) Is the connection limited to just voice, or does data also go down my pipe?

3) Is there any way to ensure I get priority over the guys down the street? 

4) The nearest Verizon cell tower is exactly 2.1 miles line-of-sight to my house.  There are several thousand houses in this neighborhood, between me and the tower.  Will those closer to me than to the tower all connect to my NE?  I am trying to figure out how this thing prioritizes who gets to connect. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Network Extender
JCap334
Enthusiast - Level 3

1) How many total cell phones and/or tablets can connect to my NE and eat my bandwidth?

You can have 7 concurrent devices connected to your extender with an 8th reserved for emergency calls.

2) Is the connection limited to just voice, or does data also go down my pipe?

The connection is a Band 13 700MHz 4G LTE signal for data, text, and HD Voice / VoLTE.

3) Is there any way to ensure I get priority over the guys down the street?

Unfortunately the NE is an open system that anybody can connect to. The best you can do is lower the signal strength on the web interface of the extender by going to Settings --> Advanced.

4) The nearest Verizon cell tower is exactly 2.1 miles line-of-sight to my house.  There are several thousand houses in this neighborhood, between me and the tower.  Will those closer to me than to the tower all connect to my NE?  I am trying to figure out how this thing prioritizes who gets to connect.

It's nothing to worry about because the extender does not pump out a very strong signal even at full power. Those within maybe 50 - 100 feet of your home may pick up the signal unless you lower the strength.

0 Likes
SunDevilR

Thanks for the info.  I logged in to the device and it came configured for the lowest power setting.  I've pushed it to 15 dBm.  I'll watch the utilization and see how it goes. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

SunDevilR, we are here to help and answer your concerns regarding the new 4G Network extender you received. It is important that you get to enjoy your service without having to worry about others connecting to your device. To answer your question, the number of phones may vary depending on the Network Extender model you have. If you don't mind us asking, can you provide us with the SKU for the device you received so we can verify the information. The network extender will provide voice service and will give you the option to add the devices to a priority list to ensure that your devices get the usage they need. The range for the network extender will vary between 40 to 50 feet depending on any interference on the service. It is rare to have neighbors connecting to the network extender unless you live in an apartment complex. Please let us know if this information helps.

VictorC_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
SunDevilR

Since using the NE I have difficulty making phone calls.  I get a lot of busy signals, and have to try multiple times.  As reported by Ookla, my broadband upload speed is around 12 MB/s.  What iOS going on?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can understand the frustration behind your attempt to call someone multiple times before it eventually goes through, SunDevilR. Do you notice a difference in your calls when you are in a different part of your house when compared to others? Has this always occurred since you had set up this network extender? When you are 10 feet away from the network extender, and you dial #48, what message do you hear? Do you have the Antenna hooked up for your extender? Do other individuals experience the same issue when attempting to call out? Where is this extender located in your house?  

Joey_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
SunDevilR

This NE is beyond a useless pile of junk.  When my phone is just sitting idle it shows 4 bars.  Before the I had the NE the phone typically showed 1 bar, if any (and frequently it dropped to 3G, or even 1x). With the NE as soon as the call connects (after I have to dial the number several times) the signal strength indicator drops to 1 bar.  Everyone complains they can't hear me.  The call quality is garbage.  It is as if the NE is not there.  BTW, I set the NE signal strength to 100%.  That had zero effect.  And Connected Devices show exactly 0.  Peak capacity shows consistently 12%. 

The NE is on a table.  I tried standing directly next to the NE and that did not help.  I can be 2 feet away or 25 feet away.  The result is the same: garbage calls and I have to dial multiple times to finally get a ring.  The only antenna the device has is the GPS antenna.  And yes that is connected.  The only other user is my wife, and her call quality is no better. 

Unless you can come up with some way to fix this pile of junk I will return it, and return to my campaign to get the state utility regulators to force Verizon to build more towers.  BTW, 2 miles from my house, near that one and only tower in the area, the cell service is fine.  What does that tell you?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Rick, as the heart of our Verizon family, we never want to hear that you're having the same trouble with your Network Extender. It's vital we continue to review this further and gather more details pertaining to your current situation. To start, let's get more details on your area, has there been any recent storms or construction? Have you performed a full reset on your Network Extender and if so when is the last time you can confirm you've performed this step? 

0 Likes