New Network Extender, stuck at 8a, how to register MAC?
kep1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I purchased a second Network Extender for a different location because the first one has been very good.  Activating this one has been a challenge. Technical help options do not get anywhere close to this, but mainly tells me just to plug it in and start it.

How does one add the second Network Extender to the account and associated it with a MAC address?  I have used Wireshark and with a packet capture and it seems like Verzion is receiving the request and responding, but never finishing the IPSEC connection

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: New Network Extender, stuck at 8a, how to register MAC?
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@kep1 wrote:

I purchased a second Network Extender for a different location because the first one has been very good.  Activating this one has been a challenge. Technical help options do not get anywhere close to this, but mainly tells me just to plug it in and start it.

How does one add the second Network Extender to the account and associated it with a MAC address?  I have used Wireshark and with a packet capture and it seems like Verzion is receiving the request and responding, but never finishing the IPSEC connection

Thanks.

To check if registered or register the MAC address, call Customer Service at 800-922-0204.  Have you checked your router for IPSec Passthrough configuration?  It could be OFF and blocking IPSec port 500 as identified in another thread:

4G Net Extender Step 8a issues.jpg.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
kep1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your reply. It was the many attempts to call customer service that led me to discover this Network Extender community.  Perhaps it is the situation with the virus and reduced customer service, but I have yet to establish a conversation with anything other than the Verizon tech bot, which has no clue about network extenders. I will keep trying, as I have successfully gotten one of the extenders working at another place and know it to be a good device.  I did not see any other communication on ports other than 4500 when looking at the Wireshark capture. The port 4500 traffic was going through both directions

kep1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I reviewed the wireshark capture and do see activity both directions for both ports 500 and port 4500.  I see the IKE_SA_INIT Initiator Request and Responder Response on port 500, and then IKE_AUTO Intiator_Request and Responder Response on port 4500

0 Likes
Update: New Network Extender, stuck at 8a, how to register MAC?
kep1
Enthusiast - Level 2

The Network Extender issue was corrected once I was finally able to speak with a Verizon Tech support person using the 800 support number.  The ZYXEL firewall had an active  built-in IPSEC passthrough policy and no changes needed to be made to the firewall.

The trick to getting through to a person on the tech line was to ignore the incessant messages from Verizon to "Click the link to the digital assistant", and eventually a person will come on the line. I had to use my AT&T land line as the signal for cell phone was insufficient to stay on the line long enough for me to get through to the support person.

0 Likes
Re: Update: New Network Extender, stuck at 8a, how to register MAC?
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@kep1 wrote:

The Network Extender issue was corrected once I was finally able to speak with a Verizon Tech support person using the 800 support number.  The ZYXEL firewall had an active  built-in IPSEC passthrough policy and no changes needed to be made to the firewall.

The trick to getting through to a person on the tech line was to ignore the incessant messages from Verizon to "Click the link to the digital assistant", and eventually a person will come on the line. I had to use my AT&T land line as the signal for cell phone was insufficient to stay on the line long enough for me to get through to the support person.

Great!  But, what exactly was the fix to get past the 8a issue (for the next person asking)?

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
kep1
Enthusiast - Level 2

The solution was providing the MAC address to the Verizon support person.  I explained to the first person what I was trying to do, and she was able to register the MAC and within minutes, I saw the system proceeding past the 8a. 

The challenge was figuring out how to get past the automated prompts to speak to a live person. The prompts directed me to click on the link on my phone, but that always ended up with some section of the tech support robot that didn't seem to understand that a MAC address needed to be registered.

kep1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Jav6,

Thank you for your comments and responsiveness. Your replies and your earlier comments in other topics were really  the key for me on this. I must also add that the support person from Verizon was courteous and helpful.

On the other hand, that tech robot was completely frustrating to me. It also seems that needing to register the MAC with a call is something that should be automated since I did purchase the device directly from Verizon.

0 Likes