Recurrent MME Communication Error on Extender
ssiewert
Enthusiast - Level 2

On a daily basis, our 4G LTE extender needs to be power cycled after a MME communication error.  It works fine for a while each day, then, on a daily basis it seems, the MME communication error occurs until the power cycle fixes it until the next day.  Any ideas?  This has been happening for the past few weeks.  Frustrating!

Thanks for your input!

Labels (1)
Re: Recurrent MME Communication Error on Extender
JCap334
Enthusiast - Level 3

You're not alone with this issue. I work in an office in Mays Landing, NJ and Verizon LTE signal is relatively weak indoors here since we're in a semi-rural area surrounded by forest.

I work in the IT department at my company. We have 2 Verizon 4G LTE Network Extenders (1st gen) set up on both ends of our office set to their lowest power level to prevent the signal bleeding too far outside into the parking lot. Over the past year, there have been ZERO issues.

A few weeks ago, both extenders updated their firmware to "Software Version : 3.1.1.00"

Ever since then, BOTH of them intermittently stop working with the "MME Communications Error". The only way to fix this is to unplug and plug back in the extender. Furthermore, I can actually trigger the issue. The extender can be up and running, if I run the OOKLA Speedtest app, after the results come in, the extender crashes with the same error.

I repeat, this was NOT an issue before the 3.1.1.00 firmware update. This is definitely an issue caused by Verizon's software and must be fixed. I doubt it is a coincidence that not one, but TWO extenders are exhibiting the exact same issue and have become completely unreliable.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having a functional network extender is essential, in order for you to get the coverage you need indoors. With this error message, are you seeing it on your phone or other connected device? Or, is the error showing on the device itself?

SeaneB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
JCap334
Enthusiast - Level 3

This message is shown on the small screen on the 4G LTE Network Extender itself. The exact message is:

Out of Service

MME Communication Failure

As said before, this is affecting 2 network extenders which were bought together about a year ago. They both worked flawlessly for months on end until they were updated to Software Version 3.1.1.00 as shown on the web interface.

Ever since then, every single day, one or both of them will go offline with that error. It seems to happen more often if we have a big meeting with many more people than usual in the office. Appears the Extenders are no longer "resilient" to being run at full capacity. We usually have about 15 - 25 people in our office at a given time. Everybody in our office has a Verizon phone through the company. Looking through the capacity logs, on most days, both extenders are not running beyond the threshold.

The only thing that fixes this issue is to power cycle the extender.

0 Likes
SALLYG130
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same problem.  My extender has been working great for over a year, and in the past 3 days I have had to cycle it 3 times.  Now I am getting the "MME Communication Failure" message no matter how many times I cycle it.  Should I bring this box back to Verizon?

ssiewert
Enthusiast - Level 2

It does not show on any phone but only on the device itself. The phone simply loses it LTE connection to the extender, no message there..

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I regret the inconvenience this has caused as I know the importance of keeping the business connected, JCap334. As this occurred after a software update I would suggest completing a factory reset of each Extender using the following link: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-204069/

YaleK_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're disappointed to learn you're having trouble with your network extender, SALLYG130. Let's look into this to ensure your connection is consistent for you. What is the make and model of your device? Has there been any damage to the device? Have you noticed if the error occurs at the same time daily?

DanielleR_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for sharing that additional information @ssiewert. Next, I'd like for you to try factory resetting the 4G LTE Network Extender by following these steps: https://vz.to/2Jy2dyx. After resetting the Network Extender, you will need to reset it back up by following these steps: https://vz.to/2HmZebE. Please keep me posted with how the Network Extender responds after completing these steps.

AnthonyTa_VZW

0 Likes
JCap334
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have performed a factory reset on both extenders, each confirming on the screen the factory reset was occurring.

One of the extenders has reverted to Software Version : 1.0.0.21

The other extender is still on Software Version : 3.1.1.00

The extender that reverted to the old software has no longer has the issue. The extender that is still on the current software is still exhibiting the same issue, random crashes requiring a power cycle with MME Communication Failure.

There is no more troubleshooting to be done on my end. It is PROVEN that this issue is directly related to buggy software in the recent update. Verizon MUST FIX THIS ISSUE ON THEIR END ASAP!!!