Re: Samsung 4G LTE Network Extender
JON5ISALIVE
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oh actually it just switches over to using port 4500 after the IKE_SA_INIT packets. 

The device sends out an IKE_AUTH exchange type, with a payload type of "Encrypted and Authenticated" and the Next payload type of "Identification - Initiator" -- Verizon responds in kind.  The device sends out another IKE_AUTH with the next payload type of "Extensible Authentication" and Verizon replies in kind.  Most of the data in these IKE_AUTH messages are encrypted -- so I don't know what is happening on these.

Ralphwf

I called Tech Support last night at 5:30 Eastern time, and was told it is a known issue and it will be about an hour to get it activated. 3 hours later not activated. Called Tech Support back and was told it can take up to 24 hours to activate the network extender. Today at 5:30 p.m. I will be sending it back and buying a WiFi call capable phone for my son. Why are they selling them, when they know their having issues with the units?

0 Likes
CARTOD32

I purchased the same network extender on 9/17 and tried setting it up and got to the same step where it said cannot activate device- call technical support.  I did and after about 45 minutes and being transferred many times I was told it was a known issue setting up the MAC address and it should be resolved in 3-4 hours.  The tech said he would call me back and let me know when I could try to actuvate again.  Of course I never received a call back and called tech support the next day 9/18.   Aftrr an hour on the phone and being put on hold by yet another tech that wasn't aware of the issue I was told that the highest level IT was working on it and it should be a "few days" before it was activated.  Well.....here I am a few days later and of course it's not activated.  I do not understand how Verizon can sell a device that doesn't work!  I also don't understand how they can employ such sub par, uncaring tech people.  The reason I got the extender was because I've been with Verizon for many, many years and also had a superior signal in my home until the last several months.  I've called on two different occassions about not having service in my home and the multiple dropped calls I now had and they couldn't care less.  They supposedly did a "study" and said they could find nohing wrong.  When I called back the second time the rep told me because I couldn't get a signal in my home I could either buy an extender or they would let me leave Verizon without a penalty and I could take my business elsewhere.  Well I opted to get the extender.....that can't be used.  NICE!  Thanks Verizon.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are any of you trying to use the network extender with a prepaid account or device?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
JON5ISALIVE
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was calling every Monday for an update, and this morning the IT/help-person was able to add my MAC address to the system (and the device to my account).  I don't know if that means the ticket is resolved, or if they just don't realize the device needs to be mainly added/registered...but mine does work great now.

My advice is to call them...tell them it is in regards to a 4g network extender and ask if they need to transfer you to someone (because the normal customer service representatives don't deal with those very often). I generally would just give them the master ticket number and ask them for the status on it.  Then maybe ask if the device is added to your account, and then if they can try to manually enter the device's MAC address into the system (it's on the sticker on the bottom of the device).

Good luck everyone...

0 Likes
trs1470

Same problem here.  I talked to customer service for two hours tonight with no luck.  They added the device to my account under the correct MAC address.  They had me jump through hoops resetting it, plugging it directly into the cable modem, plugging it directly to the router, updating my router's firmware, etc.  No dice. 

0 Likes
GhostMan69

I have been having the same issues and am getting NO help at all from Verizon. After the 3rd call, the woman suggested that I return this NE and get another one. Frustrated, I said "What if this one has the same issue?" and she told me to find another solution, like a 3g NE. I Googled this issue and found this link to a Verizon site - Calling them now to see if they can see the MAC address on the network. This is VERY frustrating.

Unblock Ports / IP Addresses - Verizon Wireless Network Extender | Verizon Wireless

Notes:

• The following ports and IP addresses must be unblocked for the Network Extender to work properly.
  • It is necessary to enable Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) and User Datagram Protocol (UDP) (incoming and outgoing) for specific ports and/or unblock specific IP addresses on the modem/router.
  • Refer to the Internet Service Provider (ISP), Network Administrator, or equipment manufacturer for assistance with these settings. Examples of router setup are provided here; however, Verizon Wireless doesn't support 3rd party routers.
  • UDP
  • Global Positioning Satellite Server
    • 209.210.15.73 GPS server (gps.vzwfemto.com)
    • 216.221.129.99 GPS server (gps.vzwfemto.com)
  • Private DNS
    • 108.61.73.243 GPS server (0.north-america.pool.ntp.org)
    • 192.95.20.208 GPS server (1.north-america.pool.ntp.org)
0 Likes
BESTVELON

To all of those having this issue, I recently experienced this same issue and could not figure it out. Then i thought back to how long it had been going on. Turns out it was about a month and it coincided with a firmware update that my router had gone through. After checking all the settings I ran across the Nat Forwarding section and inside that was the Application Layer Gateway (ALG) settings. This may not be the location to find ALG in other routers (mine is a TP-Link) but you should be able to find it in your router. My particular page has 8 different settings (yours may have just one) of which one is 'Enable IPSec Passthrough'. I looked at my Verizon device and it was stopped at IPSec and erroring out as unreachable Port 500. Once I enabled IPSec in my router the Verizon device came online within a minute and i had cell service.

Hope this helps others.

0 Likes