Samsung Network Extender - BIG PROBLEMS
cm63021

I-Phone 6 Plus, purchased in March 2015

Previous phone was an I-Phone 5 with VW, two year lifespan up to March 2015

I live in a Verizon dead zone - less than one bar - I can hear callers, but they can't hear me - drive 1/4 mile up the road and the signal is fine. Verizon sold me a Samsung network extender in 2013 to work-around this problem.

Major Problems:

1.  Starting over the last month, when calling people from my house using the network extender, people I call tell me my phone number no-longer shows-up - some show another phone number (OnStar tech support told me a 22xx phone number showed-up tonight!!!), while others say it just shows UNKNOWN or BLANK - this was never a problem before. I check my VW profile caller ID, and it still shows my name, and even called tech support and they confirmed the same.

2.  I cannot transition a phone call from my house network extender to the tower --> Calls always drop, as soon as I am approximately 50 feet from the house. If I walk (which I have done for the sole purpose of testing this), the call transitions to the tower, but if I drive, the call ALWAYS drops. I had the same problem with both the I-Phone 5 and 6 Plus. This is a big big problem because I am always on business related bridge calls.

3.  When the internet goes down, which it has done so several times just this year, the network extender fails to terminate, AND..... the cell phone continues to connect to the extender, which in-turn cannot dial out. The only way to get an outside line is to unplug it, even if it is a lousy signal/better than nothing. Bad for 911 emergencies!!!

Called tech support tonight and was told tier-2 escalation was necessary. Was told it was a 30 minute wait. Already spent 15 minutes on hold for tier-1. Not going to spend another minute waiting on hold. Would be nice if VW tech support would assist with this matter.

Thanks,.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Samsung Network Extender - BIG PROBLEMS
Snn5
Legend

If you are in an area that relies solely on an extender, you might want to look into other options for carriers or signal boosters, such as one from Wilson Amplifiers.

cm63021

Nope - not in an area relying solely on an extender - there is under one bar, but still a signal. What kills me the most is that there is a lousy ATT tower 100 yards from my home. I hate ATT - will never go with that company.

Signal booster? Thanks for point out the obvious - already explored that territory / not gonna happen.

Still awaiting a response from VW support...

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

cm63021 wrote:

Nope - not in an area relying solely on an extender - there is under one bar, but still a signal. What kills me the most is that there is a lousy ATT tower 100 yards from my home. I hate ATT - will never go with that company.

If you are getting lousy signal even with an extender....yeah.  And, if ATT is the only carrier that works, but you don't like them, then...yeah.

Signal booster? Thanks for point out the obvious - already explored that territory / not gonna happen.

Sorry, I never saw you mention that you had researched better amplifiers and other equipment.

Still awaiting a response from VW support...

You've come to a peer-to-peer forum for answers from Verizon.  You'll get a rep to initiate a direct message within 2-3 days perhaps.  Then your circle will resume.

MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

What is your zip code, who is your Internet provider, what speed do you have and what device?

0 Likes
cm63021

63021 --> 100Mb fiber --> IPhone 6+

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

To resolve the first issue you could try to unplug your modem and router and extender. Plug in modem, wait, plug in router, wait, plug in extender and wait. Then see what shows up when you call folks, what was showing up before?

As for transitioning calls, it's not surprising that you'd need to end the call and then call back once you're no longer connected to the extender. That would be like being connected to wi-fi and then heading away from it and expecting not to experience a drop in service while it switched to cellular. You have an extender for lack of service, so I just wouldn't expect to transition from service, to lack of service and it not be flawed.

When your internet goes out, automatically the extender becomes useless because it runs through it, but your phone still picks up it's signal? Are you able to dial 911 while connected to it even though the internet isn't working? Perhaps unplugging everything while trying to solve issue one will help with this issue.

How old is the extender? Have you asked about what type of warranty is offered?

0 Likes