Verizon 4G LTE Extender Can't Acquire IP
ROBRIC18
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a SLS-BU103 extender. Forgive me if this is longer than you expect but I believe in anticipating questions in advance based on experience.

When setup five years ago it was a pain in the butt. Today my internet provider assigned me a new set of static IP's at my request. No changes to my provisioning we're done at my ISP. But the extender will not acquire an IP. Same thing it did 5 years ago and then suddenly started working. It's getting stuck on step 6 of 14.

I currently have the GPS puck out the window but I really shouldn't need to since my cell phone with zero bars can nab my GPS location regardless. My point is that I have GPS beaming into my home.

I have a list of ports blocked by Spectrum Business but they would be the same ports previously blocked that did not cause a problem. In multiple conversations with them my provisioning is identical as prior to the IP change.

I hesitate to say but I am a network administrator that is quite familiar with IP addresses and subnets and everything you need to run a business in the IT industry.

I have the instructions to log into the extender. Based upon my analysis of it I simply need to reconfigure the network adapter on my laptop and then use a crossover cable to connect directly to the device (or a switch) and login using the password provided of either LTEFemto + last 4 of the MAC ID or LteFemtØ. The ladder comes from the user manual provided to me by Verizon technical support. I've read however that it doesn't work.

So forgetting I know anything at all about computers I would be absolutely grateful for someone that can tell me how to set this bloody thing for a static IP. I have one bar of service if I'm lucky and if I move the phone I can drop the call.

For the life of me, this thing is supposed to be plug-and-play and instead appears to be plug and pray. It seems I know more than tech support when it comes to trying to resolve the problem and even that's not solving the problem. Do I need to get into the menus and manually set the IP information?

Thank you in advance.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon 4G LTE Extender Can't Acquire IP
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ROBRIC18, we understand your concern regarding the Network Extender's IP address after contacting your ISP to get a Static IP, we want to help as much as possible. To be on the same page allow us to clarify a few details. You mentioned that hte Network Extender did the same thing 5 years ago and then it suddenly started working, back then did you also have a Static IP? You are welcome to send us a Private Note at any time to continue this conversation.

VictorC_VZW

0 Likes
ROBRIC18
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes. I had static IPs back then but did not assign one to the 4G extender because I did not have access to the built-in interface.

As I mentioned and as you repeated, it just started working. That has not been the case this time. It's it's doing absolutely nothing. 

The first unit that was sent to me was determined to have a bad GPS puck. Whether plugged into the device or through the coaxial cable and placed in a window with a clear view of the Southern sky, it would not assign an IP.

This was confusing because I had been informed that GPS was not a function until step 10 as I recall. We're on step 6 of 14. Nonetheless, a second device was mailed to me by Verizon and it worked after plugging it in and leaving it for a day or so.

In this case I was assigned an entirely new subnet of IPs. I don't know how I'm configured and I can't get a straight answer uninstallation. One extremely arrogant support representative trying to assert that he has greater knowledge than I do, even though I'm a network administrator that has built three data centers throughout the country as are part of my duties as the owner of a web hosting company. My point is not to brag about that but rather to point out my level of training and experience. This device is supposed to be Plug and Play.

At this point I do not have an extender that is operational. Maybe it's time to send me another replacement. Or at least another GPS Puck since that was the problem with the first device. No one seems to understand how these devices work. Play review of the same to go buy a script that doesn't tell them anything and in turn they cannot tell me anything. I am ready to leave Verizon because of it. I'm tired of cruddy service.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You are correct, ROBRIC18. The Network Extender is meant to be a plug-and-play device. It is only in rare cases that a customer would need to go into any settings for configuration. We want to be sure we help in any way we can. The following ports must be unblocked for the Network Extender to work properly:

Protocol    Port      Target

TCP           80        GPS Assistance Server

UDP/TCP  53         DNS Server

UDP/TCP 123        NTP Server

UDP     500/4500   VzW SeGW (More than one port may be used for multiple device installations)

ESP/50     N/A       VzW SeGW (When NAT/PAT is not present)

ESP/50     N/A       LTE Network Extender (When NAT/PAT is not present)

Please let us know what happens regarding these port settings.

GeorgeS_VZW

0 Likes
ROBRIC18
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a business account and no courts are closed at all. I've been down this road with your script readers that have not been able to solve the problem. I appreciate your effort but it's redundant. The item that is supposed to be plug-and-play is more like plug and pray from the old Windows 95 days. Prior to changing my static IPs the extender worked.

It looks like I need to switch to T-Mobile because the support I have received so far has been nothing but somebody reading from a script it is not intuitively though the hardware.
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

The last thing we would want would be to lose you.  Our next step would be to view all your account details to get this resolved.  While we are not able to access Business accounts here, our Business department can fully assist you at 800-922-0204.  Thank you for all your patience in working together with us.

0 Likes