Verizon Branded 4g LTE Network Extender corrupting my eero pro 6 mesh wifi network
mp43
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had my eero pro 6 mesh wifi installed since late December 2020 in my new home. Given the cell coverage in the new construction area we moved to is so poor we had to add a 4g LTE network extender. Initially we had no issues whatsoever. However over the past 4 weeks we've lost the wifi for all but 2 devices and could no longer connect to them. The cable provider has been out here 4 times as of today spending hours troubleshooting and swapping the hardware, resetting the OnT, etc. only to re-connect the extender and within a matter of time it seemingly "holds hostage" my eero pro mesh network to crippling effects. I need this issue resolved as with working from home it is really causing significant challenges. Please advise. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon Branded 4g LTE Network Extender corrupting my eero pro 6 mesh wifi network
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Just to clarify are you saying the network extender is impacting the service you receive through your Wi-Fi?

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Branded 4g LTE Network Extender corrupting my eero pro 6 mesh wifi network
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@mp43 wrote:

I have had my eero pro 6 mesh wifi installed since late December 2020 in my new home. Given the cell coverage in the new construction area we moved to is so poor we had to add a 4g LTE network extender. Initially we had no issues whatsoever. However over the past 4 weeks we've lost the wifi for all but 2 devices and could no longer connect to them. The cable provider has been out here 4 times as of today spending hours troubleshooting and swapping the hardware, resetting the OnT, etc. only to re-connect the extender and within a matter of time it seemingly "holds hostage" my eero pro mesh network to crippling effects. I need this issue resolved as with working from home it is really causing significant challenges. Please advise. 

Did your cable providers' technician identify what it was on the internet connection that the extender is 'holding hostage'?  Is there a port contention/overlap causing issues?  What ports does your Eero router use?  Have you posted your issue on the https://community.eero.com Forum?

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
mp43
Enthusiast - Level 1

I did call eero tech support and opened a ticket. The CSR essentially said the Extender may be looking like another mesh router and passing bad packets back/holding IP addresses with it's own DHCP essentially creating overlapping device IP addresses causing device by device lockout with no ability to re-authenticate with the sole exception of my Ring doorbell and Alexa. Laptops, Nest Thermostat, my work laptop, cell phones, pick any other device - locked out of connecting and when trying to re-connect to Wifi get the error "couldn't authenticate". Again this only happens with the wifi not hard connecting to the unmanaged switch.....

0 Likes
mp43
Enthusiast - Level 1

yes. Please see my detailed response below regarding contacting eero support. Essentially after about 5-7 days of being connected (the extender) to my network (hardwired of course) it seems to be corrupting / or sending back it's own DCHP assignments which takes my wifi to it's knees and even factory resets, restarting the OnT, managed switches won't resolve so effectively the cable provider has had to come and spend hours then ultimately changing out the eero's. 

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@mp43 wrote:

I did call eero tech support and opened a ticket. The CSR essentially said the Extender may be looking like another mesh router and passing bad packets back/holding IP addresses with it's own DHCP essentially creating overlapping device IP addresses causing device by device lockout with no ability to re-authenticate with the sole exception of my Ring doorbell and Alexa. Laptops, Nest Thermostat, my work laptop, cell phones, pick any other device - locked out of connecting and when trying to re-connect to Wifi get the error "couldn't authenticate". Again this only happens with the wifi not hard connecting to the unmanaged switch.....

What do you mean by 'wifi not hard connecting to the unmanaged switch?  The 4G LTE Network Extender provides a local LTE cellular signal, not a WiFi signal, for device connection.

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@mp43 wrote:

yes. Please see my detailed response below regarding contacting eero support. Essentially after about 5-7 days of being connected (the extender) to my network (hardwired of course) it seems to be corrupting / or sending back it's own DCHP assignments which takes my wifi to it's knees and even factory resets, restarting the OnT, managed switches won't resolve so effectively the cable provider has had to come and spend hours then ultimately changing out the eero's. 

The 4G LTE Extender has DHCP (for internet connection) enabled by default, but can be disabled.  Have you looked at trying that?

https://scache.vzw.com/dam/support/pdf/user_guide/verizon-lte-network-extender-user-guide.pdf

How are you/they determining that the extender 'seems to be corrupting / or sending back it's own DCHP assignments' ?  Have you used a sniffer (e.g. Wireshark) on the extender-to-router connection to capture the packets and actually see what is going on?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for that detailed information and we apologize for your inconvenience. The good news is that our Verizon Technical Support Team will work wit your cable provider to address and resolve your service concerns. We certainly want to ensure that this matter gets resolved. Is this something that you'd like to consider? -Robert C.

0 Likes