Verizon LTE Network Extender - "Connecting to SeGW Server" error
NPC411

As many other people here, after a year of no issues with my Verizon LTE Network Extender, I recently received the dreaded "Connecting to SeGW Server" error.  However, the error coincided with a recent change of cellular providers from Verizon to a third-party CDMA provider.  When I called Verizon support, the representative claimed that the "Connecting to SeGW Server" error was due to me no longer being a Verizon customer.  However, I was not paying monthly fees to Verizon for the extender and was never informed that an active Verizon plan was required.

Is the representative correct that the LTE Network Extender requires an active Verizon plan?  

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon LTE Network Extender - "Connecting to SeGW Server" error
NUTTER6962
Enthusiast - Level 1

Like you, I had no issues with my LTE extender until recently. I have an active Verizon account and the only changes I have made in the last month or two is adding another line to my account. I’ve restarted my extender and verified the Ethernet cable is good, but still can’t get past the “Connecting to seGW server” step.  Calling #48 just tells me I’m not in range of the extender, but that is just because the extender is not connecting to the server. I’m not sure how to proceed and don’t have hours of time to wait for customer support to answer my phone call.

sw33
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey @NUTTER6962 and @NPC411 

So my extender has updated to the newer version of firmware, which includes some more information on the about -> status page:

"SeGW discovery and IPsec Setup ...
 SeGW FQDN: sgw.vzwfemto.com
 SeGW IP: 141.207.224.229"

and

IPSec SeGWConnectedIP: 141.207.224.229, Port: 4500

now, it is likely that this IP address is geo-located (I'm in california), but it is at least a start.

First, let's see if you get the same IP address as I do.

Your firewall should have a "DNS lookup" page someplace. Most firewall software will have the ability to do a "DNS lookup", I am hoping that you know how to do this, or can look up how to do this. If not, I can walk you through it -- let me know what kind of computer you have.

look up  "sgw.vzwfemto.com" there and see what you get back. 

Next can you "ping" that IP address? (most firewall software will have the ability to do a diagnostic ping, I am hoping that you know how to do this, or can look up how to do this. Again, If not, I can walk you through it -- let me know what kind of computer you have.)

If you can ping the IP address that's a good start.

The next step is making sure that your firewall is allowing port 500 and 4500 through *and* not modifying the NAT port mapping when doing it.

Different firewalls refer to this differently. If things *were* working and you have made *no* changes to your firewall you might be able to discount this step, but it is worth checking in your firewall configuration. I am assuming that you have a self-managed firewall, if your ISP makes changes to your firewall for you, this is worth checking with them.

Other things to try (which I am assuming you already have done): Power off the LTE extender. Reboot the firewall, let it come all the way back up (i.e. you can surf again from your computer). Power on the LTE extender.

I often find it cathartic to mutter to troublesome hardware about a bucket of water - the hardware often takes the threat seriously and starts to behave again. 😀

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, thank you for reaching out to Verizon. Remember, the Social Media team is available 24/7. You can send us a PM to better assist you and find a solution to any concern you may have!

>Janet

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I am sorry to hear you stopped your service with us! I can confirm the Network Extender is designed to be used with Verizon Wireless lines of service and an active Verizon Wireless account. The Extender is disabled when the Verizon account is closed and even if it were active would not support a 3rd party CDMA service. 

-Yale