Verizon MiFi Jetpack 8800L won't connect or accept my VPN configuration files from express VPN.
ZeroS255

So I work around on the road for work but prefer to be on a protected network due to the location thatIi work around. I've spent about an hour talking to my VPN support company and was unable to solve this issue. They said that we had exausted every resource that they had avalible to try and get my VPN service running on my Jetpack. Needless to say after trying to call technical support and being told by an automated message that they were closed, and  well I ended up here.

Maybe some verizon rep that knows whats wrong with this VPN thing on the jetpack and refusing a server configuration or a list of companies that well verizon will allow on the jetpack through openVPN clients would be helpful.

Im open to the gernal open opinion of the rest of the community becuase im sure im not the only one running into this issue.

Configuration Files ProvidedConfiguration Files ProvidedThe error I received after every failed attempt to connect to my VPN provider.The error I received after every failed attempt to connect to my VPN provider.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon MiFi Jetpack 8800L won't connect or accept my VPN configuration files from express VPN.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to make sure that you're able to use your Jetpack with the VPN of your preference, and we are here to help. Please tell us, what VPN provider are you trying to use? Have you disabled your Jetpack's firewall? Also, is your Jetpack working properly with its current configuration?

GeovannJ_VZW

0 Likes
Re: Verizon MiFi Jetpack 8800L won't connect or accept my VPN configuration files from express VPN.
N734BV
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same problem.  Can't tell if it's an issue with the configuration files, Verizon's service, or the Jetpack 8800L hardware.  Need this resolved ASAP.  

0 Likes
RV10
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the same issue with getting the file errors message when I drag and drop the client.ovpn file to the 8800L.

I am connecting to a Watchguard T-70 firewall located on my home network, so I'm not using any provider.   I am using the OpenVPN SSL Mobile VPN on the Watchguard.   I've used the OpenVPN SSL VPN on the Watchguard with numerous devices.

Why would you recommend to disable the 8800L firewall?  It shouldn't be an either or option.  A firewall is still needed, even with a VPN.

I've attempting contacting Verizon support multiple different occasions.  The first was through the chat service.  I was give a # and was told I would be contacted in three days.  It's been a week and no contact.  I call support directly and that person could barely spell VPN, let alone support one.  All they could recommend is a factory reset of the 8800L.   The last tech wouldn't address the issue, they were strictly focused in asking if my VPN provided supported the 8800l.  They couldn't comprehend why anyone would have a commercial firewall in their home.   He kept repeating that I needed to call my VPN provider.  I couldn't get him to understand that I was my own provider.  I am a IT manager with over twenty years of supporting corporate enterprise networks.   He then switched modes and said it must be because  I don't have a business account.  He claimed that the VPN is disabled if you are using the unit on a personal account.   I had to explain that I specifically discussed my use of the 8800L with the staff at t he local Verizon store and my intended use of the VPN.  Also nothing mentioned by the Verizon store staff or the documentation states that there is a difference in features based upon type of the account.

IF I was in Verizon tech support, I would be embarrassed the way these folks are representing Verizon.

1.  Can the Verizon support staff here provide proper technical support for me and the others experiencing the file error issue?  It's happening with enough frequency, it certainly looks like a product issue.

2.  Is there any Verizon documentation that details the 8800L expectation with the file format and the acceptable configuration options for the 8800L?   Nowhere in the documentation does it even state is the OpenVPN client defaults to SSL or IPSEC.

3.  Has anyone using a 8800L had their client.ovpn file accepted successfully.  If so, what firewall were you using?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello N734BV,

I know how important it is to keep your connection secured. Here is the manual for the 8800L Jetpack: https://ss7.vzw.com/is/content/VerizonWireless/Devices/Verizon/Jetpack%20MiFi%208800L/User%20Manual/... On page 42 there are instructions on using VPN with your Jetpack. What part are you having trouble with exactly?

ChristopherM_VZW

0 Likes
N734BV
Enthusiast - Level 2

My problem is simple.  Whenever I load the configuration files (either by dragging and dropping or by loading them via the menu system) all I get is "invalid config file".  I'm stopped dead at this point and can't do anything else related to the VPN.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry you are having issues with your VPN and the MiFi device, RV10. When did this issue start? Have you ever been able to connect to your VPN? Do other devices connect to the VPN without an error? JoeL_VZW

0 Likes
N734BV
Enthusiast - Level 2

It started immediately upon trying to enter my VPN configuration files the first time.  I've NEVER been able to connect with the ExpressVPN service.  It's the only service I've tried.

0 Likes
RV10
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is a configuration issue.   Without a successful completed, the VPN isn't operational.   I'm getting the same Error with File Error that everyone else is getting when dragging and dropping the client.ovpn file.

Yes, I have used many other SSL clients with the Watchguard Firewall, but like I said, until I can meet the requirements of the configuration screen, operational aspects are moot.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for that information, N734BV. Have you spoken to your VPN provider to see if they have any different setup files that you may use? DavidR_VZW

0 Likes