What happened? Did an update just disable use of my range extender?
davidhe123

I've had a Samsung (model SCS-2U01) range extender for a couple years, and it's been working flawlessly.  I work from home, and use my mobile phone to communicate to colleagues / customers.  Reliable coverage is CRITICAL for my work.

In the past several weeks, I have suddenly become unable to connect my phone (iPhone 6S) to the range extender to place or receive calls.  The range extender status lights are indicating that everything is working properly (all blue).

I have already

- reset my broadband modem

- reset my router

- reset my Samsung range extender

- verified my iphone 6 is on the most current update, and reset

Standing immediately next to the range extender, #48 on the phone will not verify a connection.  There is no tone when placing or receiving calls, notifying me that my call is connected through the extender.

This is really important to me.  Without the range extender I usually get 1bar of connection in my home, and sometimes goes to 1x in my office in the basement.  I have been dropping calls regularly in the past two weeks, and this is unacceptable.

@ Verizon: I have been a customer since 1995, and I have 5 iphones on my account.  I really do not want to switch providers, but being unable to place or receive calls reliably from my house is a deal breaker.

@ the guy who goes on everyone's post recommending using wi-fi calling..stop right there.  I am aware of this feature, and it's not ready for primetime.  I have already tried it.  It does not meet the audio quality and reliability standard that I need for my work.  My home office broadband is excellent quality.  I've been using VOIP for 17 years for my landlines.  Wi-Fi audio is choppy, and it drops calls, despite having excellent wifi coverage.  Also, many of my customers and conference bridges do not accept calls from wi-fi sources...I am not sure how they even know, but I've tried and had my calls rejected.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: What happened? Did an update just disable use of my range extender?
adamg_vzw
Verizon Employee

davidhe123,

We know how frustrating it can be to cope with service issues, especially at home. Since this began have there been any changes to your device, home internet service or anything of the like? Are you aware if you have the extender "Open" or "Closed"? See how to manage these settings here Configure Access Settings (My Verizon) - Verizon Wireless 3G Network Extender | Verizon Wireless .

AdamG_VZW    

Follow us on Twitter @VWSupport

0 Likes
Re: What happened?  Did an update just disable use of my range extender?
davidhe123

Hi Adam,

My range extender has always been configured to use priority access.  I set this up when I installed the extender, and it has always worked until about 4 weeks ago.  All of my mobile devices are on the priority list.

0 Likes
Re: What happened?  Did an update just disable use of my range extender?
davidhe123

added: while it is configured for priority access, it remains open for users that are not on the priority list.

0 Likes
davidhe123

Update: It's Monday at noon, and I have tried a number of calls today from my home office.  about 50% of them have actually connected to the extender successfully, the other 50% failed to connect.  My desk sits about 8 feet from the extender, so range should not be an issue.

I have not had any service disruptions from my ISP.  174mbps download, 24mbps upload speed tested at the modem.  100mbps upload speed tested at the linksys router.

Phone = iPhone 6s with current iOS

Extender = Samsung 3G model.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the update davidhe123. Have you always had issues with service at home. Have we filed a trouble-ticket to have your are investigated in the past? Did you purchase your extender from us?

KinquanaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
davidhe123

Hi Kinquana,

Have you always had issues with service at home. 
  • I've had a Samsung (model SCS-2U01) range extender for a couple years, and it's been working flawlessly.
  • In the past several weeks, I have suddenly become unable to connect my phone (iPhone 6S) to the range extender to place or receive calls.  The range extender status lights are indicating that everything is working properly (all blue).
  • Additional info:  I originally had great coverage without the need for an extender in my home office (for over 12 years).  At some point, the coverage level dropped to unusable, and I did create a ticket, resulting in VZW sending me this range extender.

Have we filed a trouble-ticket to have your are investigated in the past?

• about this incident?  I tried.  The MYVZW page is difficult to navigate, if you are trying to contact tech support.  The directions point you to troubleshooting guides and this forum.  I couldn't find a link to create a support ticket.

Did you purchase your extender from us?

• This extender was provided by VZW when cellular service at my home became unusable, and they were unable to fix the coverage issue.  Historically I had 4-5 bars of coverage (even in my lower levels) at home, and it went down to 1 bar, and sometimes 1x coverage.

0 Likes