Wrong location when connected to 4G LTE extender
dwvoss563
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've noticed that when I am connected to the 4G LTE network extender installed at my house, my location is reported incorrectly to all apps on my phone.  Opening any app that uses location services will consistently show me to be 158 miles away from my actual location.   This occurs to all Samsung Galaxy phones that we use at the house and that connect to the extender.  If I disconnect the power to the extender and refresh my location in any phone app, it will show my location correctly.

Obviously, the Network Extender knows where it is, since if it doesn't have adequate GPS signal, it will go offline.

There has to be a correction to this.

Labels (1)
Re: Wrong location when connected to 4G LTE extender
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@dwvoss563 wrote:

I've noticed that when I am connected to the 4G LTE network extender installed at my house, my location is reported incorrectly to all apps on my phone.  Opening any app that uses location services will consistently show me to be 158 miles away from my actual location.   This occurs to all Samsung Galaxy phones that we use at the house and that connect to the extender.  If I disconnect the power to the extender and refresh my location in any phone app, it will show my location correctly.

Obviously, the Network Extender knows where it is, since if it doesn't have adequate GPS signal, it will go offline.

There has to be a correction to this.

I experienced the same thing in northern Vermont after installing a 4G LTE Network Extender 2.  My moto z4 phone gave my 'current location' as in Massachusetts.  I would think the internet service provider IP address of the gateway/router being used could be used for location services.  @vzw_customer_support  how can we get a ticket opened to address this issue?  If the network extender handles an incapacited 911 caller, where will the emergency responders be sent?

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

just waking up....somewhat 'incapacitated'

The User Manual says:

"Location      This is the physical location of the Network Extender as reported by GPS. This location is provided for emergency 911 calls"

The question is, if the device/phone is using the cellular signal for its location services, what is it in the extenders' cell signal that is NOT identifying the same location as it does for 911 calls?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello dwvoss563, we're concerned to learn that you're having issues with your location while using a network extender, and we'd love to help. We know the importance of your phone having the correct location at all times. Please send us a private message to better assist.

UbaldoJ_VZW

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@vzw_customer_support wrote:

Hello dwvoss563, we're concerned to learn that you're having issues with your location while using a network extender, and we'd love to help. We know the importance of your phone having the correct location at all times. Please send us a private message to better assist.

UbaldoJ_VZW

@ubaldoj_vzw  I had the same issue.  This is a Public Forum so why not keep the discussion public?  If you need personal or account info that's fine, use private messaging.  But if you're troubleshooting, keep it public.