iPhone (no signal) + LTE Network Extender not working / iPhone won't connect to LTE Network Extender SOLUTION
Kontric
Enthusiast - Level 2

I spent several days over the last few weeks researching everything I could on this issue after it started impacting me and I've successfully resolved it and have had no further issues for the last week so I'm comfortable sharing this as a solution to others. Disclaimer: I'm not the guy who figured all this out, I just put it together and am sharing it here.

Problem:

iPhone's lock onto Band 66 from your nearest cell tower. My guess is nearly everyone posting here has a network extender because they get next to no cell phone signal where they are at. Your network extender by default broadcasts on band 13. Your iPhone will not connect to the network extender on band 13 if it is receiving ANY signal, no matter how garbage (including ZERO bars), from a macro tower. This solution will ONLY work if you are positive your LTE Network Extender is functional, i.e. it shows that it is "Open" and "In-Service".

Solution:

1. Go to Verizon support. I did it through the website and just chatted with an agent over text. Hope you get someone knowledgeable and helpful, the first person I had did not have a clue to what a network extender was or how they functioned and it took me well over an hour just to get the thing added to my account. If you get someone like that, I'm not going to lie, leave and come back. It's not worth the headache.

2. Have the customer service representative create an NRB ticket to change your LTE Network Extender to broadcast on Band 66 (preferred) or Band 4 if 66 is not available in your area. Band 4 is a subset of Band 66 and will work with your iPhone based on what I've read. They will need to validate the MAC address of your network extender, require the physical address the Network Extender is located at, and any other information required to validate your account. 

3. It takes up to 24 hours for the NRB ticket to be executed. I was never contacted, and I won't lie I never called back to confirm the ticket was executed. I believe the ticket was executed about 6 hours after it was submitted, because that's when my phone went from 0-5 bars and has been working since. 

Caveats:

1. I have had to reboot my phone once after leaving the house and coming back when it wouldn't let go of the garbage tower signal. Rebooting my  phone immediately connected it back to the LTE Extender.

2. If they push an update to your LTE Extender, supposedly it will revert back to Band 13 and you will have to submit another NBR ticket. This hasn't happened to me yet, I've only read about it on other forums. 

This issue was incredibly frustrating to deal with, to the point where I switched phone companies (from Xfinity because they ride Verizon's network and therefore couldn't troubleshoot the actual problem) and was at the point I was about to buy an Android out of anger at Apple. Honestly, I'm still considering buying an Android because this is blatantly an issue with Apple and iOS 14.x, which is where my multi-week fountain of signal issues began. Hopefully this helps someone.

Labels (1)
Re: iPhone (no signal) + LTE Network Extender not working / iPhone won't connect to LTE Network Extender SOLUTION
randys12
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks, I continue to have problems with my iPhone after that update it’s working now but it stops frequently so I’ll keep this information just in case I need to use it down the road. 

Re: iPhone (no signal) + LTE Network Extender not working
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Kontric, this is great information you have provided.  I know how important it is to have a reliable signal at your home and I would be lost if I had sub par service.  I am here to help if you have any questions or concerns.  Can you please verify if you are a Verizon customer?  We do have some great deals on our premium Android devices and you can view them here: https://www.verizon.com/deals/

0 Likes
Re: iPhone (no signal)
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for letting us know. Please keep us updated. 

0 Likes
Kontric
Enthusiast - Level 2

Still working without any issues. What would be nice is if Verizon would set the LTE Network Extenders to Band 66 by default when they are activated, instead of Band 13, but candidly I have no idea how I would facilitate that conversation inside Verizon from where I sit. 

0 Likes
Kontric
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am a Verizon customer and have been for a few weeks now. Comcast (Xfinity Mobile) was unable to troubleshoot the issues with the Verizon network since they are just passengers on it, and they also had no offering of an LTE Network Extender, which is what drove my change to from them to Verizon. So far, so good.

0 Likes
randys12
Contributor - Level 1

I am also a Comcast customer but I had not done the cell phone Verizon/Comcast  thing yet, sounds like you are saying you can’t use the extender if you are using Comcast even though Comcast is using Verizon, I wonder if the people here could confirm that for us.

Also does everyone else have to go through a two-step verification to sign into the community?  Every single time?

0 Likes
Kontric
Enthusiast - Level 2

I only have to put in a username and password to login. And I can 100% confirm you cannot purchase a Verizon LTE Network Extender while you are a Comcast customer. The workaround, and I used it, is if you have a friend that is a Verizon customer they can activate the LTE Network Extender and add it to their account and your phone will connect to it because it's on the appropriate network. You CANNOT activate it yourself since you are not a Verizon customer.

0 Likes
randys12
Contributor - Level 1

If support is watching, every time I use community here I have to have an email or text sent to get in, 2 step, which is fine for most stuff  but community?

Can you tell me how to stop that please support?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is definitely great feedback, Kontric. We will be sure to send that to the right team. For now, is there anything else we can assist you with?

AnnaG_VZW

0 Likes