Re: Are Spelling, Punctuation, Capitalization, and Grammar No Longer Taught in School
B33
Legend

Yea i haven't given mine a kick yet but i thought if i didn't get that thing with the My Verizon App fixed i just might have too but it wasn't the phones fault an all is Good.. Pete!

0 Likes
Re: Are Spelling, Punctuation, Capitalization, and Grammar No Longer Taught in School
verizonmoderator1

<Discussion moved to the Off-Topic Lounge from the Droid Razr space.>

<Everyone, please remember to keep it courteous.>

0 Likes
sunybeaches
Enthusiast - Level 2

tru and iz gud 2 sifur many lingos wn txtin stay current rt?

0 Likes
sunybeaches
Enthusiast - Level 2

I write based on the intended audience

0 Likes
sunybeaches
Enthusiast - Level 2

Do you have difficulty in translation of the text language the author uses?  Consider learning the language.  Surely you know the author of the texts with which you take offense, correct?  Perhaps it is some group company type texting with which you refer.  Consider a courteous private discussion, Sir, with the author of the texts with which you take offense.  If that is not an option, Sir, which would certainly be a curious conundrum, which certainly you must know the author of the texts YOU ARE READING, I suggest you get more familiar with the author.  Since you appreciate educated communication skills, I cannot fathom why you would be in communication with an author of a text that you consider less than educated. Much of the most acclaimed American and English literature has been written by authors communicating to the intended audience.  Those that are unable to understand the language the author uses don't take the time to finish the book, and often are less educated by "throwing the book at it", or by not taking on the challenge to finish the book.  Get to know the author. If you take offense with the language the author uses, you must not be apart of the intended audience and therefore shouldn't read it. DELETE IT.  FORGET IT.  DON'T COMMUNICATE WITH THEM.  WHY WOULD YOU?  UNLESS YOU ARE THEIR EMPLOYER, BOSS AND/OR PAYING THEIR BILLS, IN WHICH CASE YOU CAN DEMAND THEY CLEAN UP THEIR TEXT LANGUAGE, GIVE AN EDUCATIONAL TEXT CLASS, OR FIRE THEM.  I SUGGEST YOU STICK TO COMMUNICATION WITH THOSE THAT ARE ON YOUR EDUCATIONAL LEVEL. 

0 Likes
mikedamirault
Contributor - Level 3

I have to agree with jimfitzgerald about this

Now I am guilty myself about using improper punctuation (as you can tell from most of my posts, there's never a period and way to many commas), but that is usually due to the fact that I am not sure where to put a period or when/when not to use a comma

What really gets me is improper spelling and improper use of words like "Their, There, and They're", like "Their always like that" instead of "They're always like that", or using ebonics or shortened words (like "r" instead of "our") when replying to somebody's post or even starting a thread/post, this kind of stuff is fine in text messages and messengers/chat, but not on a forum

The way I see it, how am I supposed to trust somebody that doesn't at least try to use proper english, or at least look somewhat professional when they reply?  If they can't figure out how to spell most simple words, or don't take the time to make sure that their post/reply is readable/legible, how am I supposed to trust what they're saying, or if they even know what they are talking about?  I know there is no correlation between the two, but it usually seems/feels that way

SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Don't get me started....  it's not just this forum.  Newspaper articles, websites, "professional" advertisements that obviously were not proofread by anyone halfway competent... 

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I guess I must have developed a habit of simply dealing with the situation of interpreting what a user meant to say... 

I know sometimes users may mistype or put something out of contents when they are inputting information in a hurry or allow auto correct to complete their sentence and I cant say I am perfect to always make things clear but sometimes its a simple mistake and that happens.

0 Likes
askjeeves
Contributor - Level 1

You know, I agree with you. I'm 19, and when I talk to people online that are my age, and even sometimes older, I feel like I'm in Idiocracy. They all talk like: "yo, dawg u was liek so drunck laste nite. i cant belive u did dat."

Obviously I do not have perfect spelling or punctuation, but I think I'm at least smarter than that.

And I know i'm not that smart.

Which really worries me. If i'm above-average according to test scores and english skills, then what is the world coming to?

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i think this is part of the issue. people now type just like they talk. slang has always been somewhat acceptable when speaking. however, it seems like we used to at least type properly. now, it seems as though people type exactly as they talk. i know i'm guilty of poor grammar rules when typing (i never take the time to capitalize.....i just don't), but i still try to properly annunciate what i'm trying to say. for the record, the way i just spelled annunciate is correct. yet there is a red line under it when i type, indicating it is misspelled. maybe our pc's aren't even sure anymore....."lol"

and yes...the young generation will lack communication skills as a result of technology. my son doesn't even talk to his friends. they text or IM....period. everything he texts is in the texting style of shorthand as well. he knows proper grammar, but at some point they will lose that grammar as they text in shorthand more and more.

0 Likes