Guy middle age buy's a Train Set is there something Wrong with that.. I guess the Kid in me hasn't left yet
B33
Legend

Got myself a New Train Set a Kato Brand N Scale.. Amtrak"  the Kit includes:::   Track, re-railer,  power pack, 3 passenger Cars and a Engine.. I'm gonna have some fun again if some people on here think I'm nuts hey that's your opinion but I'm gonna have some fun why there's some fun still left in this ole Dude.. If any one wants to see what the Lay-out consist of I'll post a Video of one that is on You Tube..

Gotta find me an Engineers Hat b33 

Labels (1)
Re: Guy middle age buy's a Train Set is there something Wrong with that.. I guess the Kid in me hasn't left yet
Snn5
Legend

I'll add to this:  I just happened to be at a Kmart the other day and a cheap train set caught my eye, not that I'd buy it, I have no room for such in my place, but it took me back to a Christmas when I was about 4 or 5 I think.  Santa Clause had brought me a little electric train set but the elves didn't do any quality control on the this set I guess.  Thing wouldn't choo-choo at all.  So Santa took it back and came back with this wooden set with a few log cars and locomotive.  Might have had a caboose.  Had leather straps on it to hold the logs to the car.  Loved that thing.  It could go anywhere without a track, as fast or slow as I wanted, and made any noise I could think of.  Trains are a just a thing of wonderment, especially for those that were born before batteries were required for everything.  So no, my opinion is you aren't nuts.  I have seen much older folks with full-on city scapes and cross-country-looking setups with high dollar rigs sitting in a swivel seat and controlling 2-3 trains at once.  And, yes, they had conductor and engineer hats.  Smiley Happy

Re: Guy middle age buy's a Train Set is there something Wrong with that.. I guess the Kid in me hasn't left yet
B33
Legend

Well I've had a few sets in the Past.. one a Lionel my older brother had one that O my I wished I could of seen or got my hands on it was when Lionel made Good Quality trains & sets but.. I got the Lionel had it for a while then the folks got me a HO set,  it was a fairly big set but In my young youth I didn't have the Knowledge of how one should take care of the engine like oiling the gears I did keep the track clean with the included track cleaner but other than that I just ran it till it would not go any longer..

I got my First N scale set and set it up on a Table I made from building out of 2 by 4's and scrap plywood it ran well I took care of it done the maintenance but the track was not of a great quality and the Engines at the time were Bachman's which were ok but are nothing close to these Kato's there the Best in the small N scale engines and the Cars are well made and Detailed as well)  Snn5 here is a Picture of my only surviving piece of my old set it is my Southern Pacific Caboose and there will be a time I run it down rails again..  I half to switch out the Couplers to were it can be pulled behind these new modern cars & Engines..  if you look close to the picture you can see the style of the old coupler this Caboose sold around the early 90's I think I got it in 91 or 92.. its a peach

Caboose  Souther Pacific 12  35.jpg

Snn5
Legend

Mine was along this style.  I still have it in a garage somewhere.

615_full.jpg

B33
Legend

O that's Cool Snn5 I really like that thanks for sharing it..  I found a couple Good Video's of trains that shows them running in DCC style that is running 2 to 4 electric engines on one set of track..  like the real ones do how can that happen well in DCC they can match up the Engines with Decoders that then talks to the Controller in doing that you can more than one Engine at a time.. cool ha"  Have a look at this Video..

HO Scale DCC Train Run-by Bonanza - YouTube

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I have actually seen that video before....pretty intricate. 

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Yea it's Cool I'll be looking at more videos I think stirring Idea's in my head so I can make my set even more exciting to run I seen one Guy that had his set on Kitchen carpet or office Carpet Very low pile it was on a Bench type Table with Kato's type of Rail it sets the rail up a bit which I think would work with this type of Carpet..

Here's Link to the Kato Site you can see the Rail Snn5

KATO USA : Precision Railroad Models

N-Gauge UNITRACK - KATO USA : Precision Railroad Models

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Everytime I hear something about toy/model trains I hear the song "Kinderfeld" in my head.  LOL Smiley Happy

Snn5
Legend

When he turns the trains on he makes it go away

When he turns the trains on he unties all of the strings

That part.  Seems to mean to me that playing with trains eases stress.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

MY first, and last train set pictured below.  Someone insisted this was the best toy, so my parents bought me one.  Either they were mean, or had rubber floors.  This was the NOISIEST toy!  I can still hear to click clacking across the slate tile in the house I grew up in.  My parents kept it long enough for all the grandsons to play with it too.

Your train is much cooler...  

image.jpg