Re: I kind of think this is creepy-cool...Google gets AI teddy bear patent
Snn5
Legend

I myself watched the original series of Trek.  I preferred Enterprise and never got into the Next Generation, nor any DS9 or Voyager.  Sad ending to Burt's career, where he is now, all that is lost.  I always liked movies where the start plays a 180 role of his or her usual role.  Robin Williams in One Hour Photo and Final Cut and Reynolds in Boogie Nights.  If my life's story was made into a movie, Alan Alda would narrate.  Fight Club remains as one of the most pivotal and influential movies of my life, along with Requiem for a Dream.  But, as far as series goes, I show my age with The Shield and SOA.  I suppose my thought patterns run a different design than most.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

I Liked Enterprise much better than the other spin offs too.  As a prequel, it didn't botch the story line of the earlier series.  I cant understand why it wasnt embraced.    Each of the Trek line had its good points.  I really like Patrick Stewat, can't stand William Frakes.   The Data character was a great idea in exploring the concept of artificial life forms.  The Seven of Nine character was brilliant and Voyagers version of the Data Character.  Deep space nine was a good idea, but a few of the characters were just silly.

The Next Generation gets the most play still and was the most trite, poorly acted, bit of fluff.  I give it credit for continuing the franchise and creating some interesting characters only.  If it weren't for Stewart ( despite the direction) that series would have died an early death.

of the two recent Star Trek movies, the first was a great prequel.   It told the back stories of the original cast very well.

THen the " Edge of darkness".   Major story line flaw.  They kill off Spocks human mother before he was part of the regular Enterprise crew?  Really?  And didn't pull off some sort of time loop nonsense to fix it?  Annoying.

IT may be total fantasy, but keep it real.  LOL.      

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Well, Enterprise was interesting for its explanation of roots, but most people were already desensitized to technology, in that Enterprise was pre-10x warp speed and was without all the new-fangled gadgets and ideas.  Well, maybe Enterprise had the ideas and Next Gen fleshed it out.  Stewart will remain an icon in my view.  Data serves to be my proving example when someone pronounces -data- as datta and not day-tah.  The latter is correct.  One reason I did not get into Star Wars is because of the out of sequence production of the movies.  I don't like to see a part 2 before a part one, and if I cannot find a part one of a movie to see before seeing part 2, I won't even start.  I'm the same way with series on TV...I didn't watch even the first episode of SOA till this past February.  I watched the series pilot of The Shield when it was named Rampart, but then didn't get to episode 2 until the series was over.  I hate trying to make sense of when things happen on a timeline when it's all jacked up and characters come and go.  Shows like NCIS and Law and Order are one thing.....having that many seasons and still in mass re-run on cable, I can usually just watch and with NCIS, the same backstories are always in flashback and Law and Order...new story each episode and the only real thing to catch up on is where a certain character may have gone, and Google provides that answer without much spoiling.

There seems to be no shortage of series coming out spanning several genres, but lately I have done with Netflix what some might do with YouTube:  Watch something and follow the suggestions deeper and deeper until you "don't know how you got there."  Currently, I am into b-c rated cult films and unknown movies about who knows what with actors you might remember having a hey-day but have been relegated to the pretty much "straight to DVD" pigeon-hole.  (Val Kilmer in ANYTHING since Batman)  Netflix will tell me that their best guess is a 1.5 star rating for me...I always find a way to legitimize at least 3 stars.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

I Watched high rated movies I didn't like and low rated ones I would watch again.

favorites I can watch again....

Second Hand Lions

Sleuth

The Man who would be King.

The Lion in Winter

I read Jurrasic Park years before the movie, but enjoyed the film anyway.

B33
Legend

O yea you can't get much Better than ole Burt in Smokie n Bandit  1 and 2,  Hooper,  Cannon Ball Run 1 and 2)  Stick, Malone, Longest Yard, Sharky's Machine, White Lighting, Gator, Strokers Ace, Driven.. there's many many more to list here and some of his older Cow Poke movies were good as well,   which you see once n while on Encore Westerns.. thats my Dad's favorite channel.. put a GOOD western on and he's hooked the rest of the Day.

Snn5
Legend

Forgot:  Any Hunter S. Thompson-inspired movie.  Rum Diary, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Where the Buffalo Roam

mama23dogs
Legend

I Think we may have ADD..

off topic is right.  Went from the demented future invention as of Google to old movies.

oooo look a squirrel.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Well, I find all these entries within the topic of "off-topic."  That's the thing, can't be off-topic in an off-topic discussion.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Since comments in regular forum are deemed off topic, sometimes at random, this is refreshing.

mama23dogs
Legend

SO how 'bout those Mets?

image.jpg