588 area code sends message to others in a group chat that MY cell number has left the group
fzshcg01
Enthusiast - Level 2

588 area code number sends message to others in an existing group text message mixed with iPhone & Android users that my phone (iPhone) number has left the group and provides a link to start a new group Text. Also provides a link to add the 588 number to your contacts!? I did not initiate this and did not see this action on my phone. I have run thru the Clone phone check out with good results. Why is this happening?  

JS
1 Solution
EC_VZW
Community Manager
Community Manager

There is no need for concern with receiving any messages regarding the 588 area code. Verizon is currently in the process of sunsetting the Message+ application.

As a result, while we do system maintenance before the shutdown of Message+, other participants in your group texts may see messages with a 588 area code stating that your number has “left the group”.

Sorry for any alarm this may have caused, but rest assured, it is of no concern. For additional information, please see our FAQs.

View solution in original post

77 Replies
NightCat99
Enthusiast - Level 1

Was there ever an explanation of why this is happening? Thanks!

M4456H
Enthusiast - Level 1

I’d like to know the same thing. Got these messages this morning. All from group texts using the standard texting app on iPhones.  Everyone in the group got the text about one individual leaving the group. Happened on 6 different groups. 

Also received a separate message with a new contact card for the group. 🤔

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, being on top of your service is crucial, especially if you are encountering messaging issues. Verizon is here to help.

When did the issue start? What recent changes have you made? What exactly are you doing when the alert appears? Aside from this notification, any other issues? What messaging app are you using?

~Gilbert

0 Likes
LY505
Enthusiast - Level 1

It's happening again.  First time for me but i see this has been happening for awhile tho other Verizon former users is message+ app. All my old group members are receiving texts from 588 saying I've dropped out of the group.  I haven't. I just stopped using Verizon message+ as my default app.  I suggest everyone disable or uninstall that app if no longer using. Also it seems to be a Verizon issue closing these groups triggering these 588 messages.  This just shows how Verizon is unable or unwilling to resolve since they've been aware of this issue for awhile and there has been no fix or wide announcement explanation.  #588

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
@fzshcg01  wrote: I did not attempt to leave any of the text group and would not know of this unless those within the text group notified me of these messages to leave a group.  The group advised me that the request came from the following 588 numbers:  (588)938-9388; (588)937-6363; (588)937-6358

We appreciate you sharing those details and if your experience is the same as some of the other screenshots in this thread, I don't think your phone is hacked, but it certainly seems like fishy to me. The best option would be to forward those strange messages to SPAM(7726) so that we can investigate them.

-Joseph

0 Likes
Ashmbre86
Enthusiast - Level 1

This has also started happening to me today too. I just had 2 people tell me they received this message.

Ashmbre86
Enthusiast - Level 1

1000012600.jpg

 here is a picture to refernce

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for sharing a screenshot. We would like to help and take a closer look at your situation. To better assist, I'll be sending a Private Message, please reply to it, so we can take a closer look.

~Maria

0 Likes
LindsMimb
Enthusiast - Level 1

Samsung user here and I also have a text message stating my husband's number has left the group from a 588 number. I spoke with my husband and he did not leave anything or touch anything on his phone when this happened this morning.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, LindsMimb. Thanks so much for this info. Help is here. Does your husband have Message + on his device? 

-Natasha

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
@fzshcg01  wrote: I'm using the  standard Apple "Messages" Social Networking applicati on on my iPhone. This is happening to two existing text groups, at least that is what I have been alerted to. Both are not new text groups and contain a mixture of iPhones and Android devices. 

Thank you for sharing those details with us today. That is indeed strange behavior, and I would share your same concern if I were having the same trouble with my iPhone in a group message. We would like to help gather some more details. When did this issue first start happening? What, if anything, changed with your device/service/etc. before this issue first started?

-Joseph

0 Likes
two_moms
Enthusiast - Level 1

This happened with people I know today, too. My wife received two text from two different 588 area codes stating my number had left a group. A friend of mine received similar texts from two different 588 area code numbers saying my number left a group. And at least two other friends received similar messages as well. 

NightCat99
Enthusiast - Level 1

Was this ever explained? 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate the insights and would like to find the root cause of the issue. To better assist, I'll be sending a Private Message, please reply to it so we can get started.

~Maria

fzshcg01
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was notified that I began this morning around 0800am PST. I have not added or changed anything on my phone and it is currently running iOS 17.3.1

JS