588 area code sends message to others in a group chat that MY cell number has left the group
fzshcg01
Enthusiast - Level 2

588 area code number sends message to others in an existing group text message mixed with iPhone & Android users that my phone (iPhone) number has left the group and provides a link to start a new group Text. Also provides a link to add the 588 number to your contacts!? I did not initiate this and did not see this action on my phone. I have run thru the Clone phone check out with good results. Why is this happening?  

JS
1 Solution
EC_VZW
Community Manager
Community Manager

There is no need for concern with receiving any messages regarding the 588 area code. Verizon is currently in the process of sunsetting the Message+ application.

As a result, while we do system maintenance before the shutdown of Message+, other participants in your group texts may see messages with a 588 area code stating that your number has “left the group”.

Sorry for any alarm this may have caused, but rest assured, it is of no concern. For additional information, please see our FAQs.

View solution in original post

77 Replies
Weirdone

A friend received this weird text with my phone number on it. Has anyone experienced this?

Weirdone_0-1708984460497.jpeg

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@Weirdone wrote:

A friend received this weird text with my phone number on it. Has anyone experienced this?

Weirdone_0-1708984460497.jpeg

Can you say what the text message is?  Your picture does not display properly.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
SynthpopAddict
Master - Level 1

It's something with Verizon Messages+ where if some users are using it and others aren't in a MMS, then the (588) number comes up with a message saying someone left the group.  Nobody seems to have a clear resolution for it as there's a big thread elsewhere with a lot of posts.  I'm calling it a glitch which will go away on its own when Messages+ sunsets in June?

-------------
I'm not a Verizon employee, just another customer trying to help.
0 Likes
EC_VZW
Community Manager
Community Manager

There is no need for concern with receiving any messages regarding the 588 area code. Verizon is currently in the process of sunsetting the Message+ application.

As a result, while we do system maintenance before the shutdown of Message+, other participants in your group texts may see messages with a 588 area code stating that your number has “left the group”.

Sorry for any alarm this may have caused, but rest assured, it is of no concern. For additional information, please see our FAQs.

Yoda71
Enthusiast - Level 1

We don't have a family text group but now 3 family members have gotten the same text that various member have left the group by phone number. Today we got one that the main Verizon number on the account was no longer the group manager. I understand it is a phishing text, as it tell you to verify but it is only family on our account. Any ideas? We did change password but still very weird. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're sorry to read about the issue with the texts in the group. Have you tried to create a new group? ~Peter

0 Likes
LY505
Enthusiast - Level 1

No I haven't created a new group because I'm no longer using Verizon Message+ app.  This is only happening with older groups created on that app. For some reason that app thinks I've "left the group" and is sending 588 ph  texts to all other members in that group. It is also sending them a link to click to adjust their profile in that group. It seems to be a way to  solicit new users to message+ .  I now have to tell all group members that i haven't left the group.  

0 Likes
Yoda71
Enthusiast - Level 1

1000000675.jpg

We do not have a group message called Family. Two of us use Messages and two use Message+. Three have Samsung and one has iPhone

0 Likes
Xjp
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just had this happen. 2 of our business accounts. Text was sent to a Non Verizon customer. I text w frequently. The other person who this also happened to... Has numerous people contacting him, over the same TEXT. I After researching this, apparently this is a KNOWN ISSUE w Verizon going back at least 5 years??? I could NOT find an explanation n more importantly a resolution!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, we are truly sorry to see this messaging issue has been happening to two of your business accounts. Our goal is to offer the support you need. For further assistance please contact our Business Team, through any of the venues found on this link: https://www.verizon.com/business/contact/. They will provide the aid you need.

~Gilbert

0 Likes
Felixthecat9
Enthusiast - Level 1

Everyone in my family group chat is experiencing the same thing, 25 different Verizon customers using iPhone and Android devices.  I am also experiencing the same problem in all the groups I have created whether they are family, other friends or business associates.  The 588 number is aways followed by "937" and the final four digits of the number increment by one each time I receive a message: 5875, 5876, 5877, 5879, 5880, 5881 .

I have to say that I am somewhat annoyed by Verizon's innocuous responses in this thread.  It seems we are chatting with a poorly fashioned AI robot that has no clue as to what's going on.  I called Verizon yesterday about this and the rep I spoke with exhibited the same response to me, asking me what apps folks are using and responding to me with deep sighs whenever I told her that we simply use the "boxed" text messaging app for whatever flavor of iPhone or Android we are using.

I am concerned that this provides a vector for security compromise such as identity theft and other loss.

Verizon...please get to the bottom of this, we all spend far too much money for this type treatment from you!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the information. Does this happen after a message is sent from your device or is it at random times of the day? Have you tried clearing out any other texting apps from your device? ~Peter

0 Likes
PeacePlease
Enthusiast - Level 1

Had same problem on 2/20/24. Four different 588 area code numbers sent to everyone in my family group. All 588 numbers included attachments. Chatted with a few very friendly Verizon agents today.  First agent said, "... we do not proactively send those kind of messages or any message in that way." Sounds like they're unclear why it's happening. Looking forward to hearing a definitive explanation from Verizon.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, PeacePlease. Help is here as we can assist with your concerns on the 588 code you are seeing. With Messages+, anyone using this application who are also adding those to the group message that DO NOT use Messages+ are assigned a 588 number as a default location. This is part of the application's function and working properly. 

-Natasha

0 Likes
jawilson60
Enthusiast - Level 1

Several people received a text, multiple times, saying :

1st message:  GH Flight: +xxxxxxx (my cell number) has left the group.  t

2nd message   JXXXXXXX (my first name) as removed XXXXXXXXX (my cell number) has changed the group admins.  You can use this contact card to update the group profile. 

3rd message is a vcard attachment contact card titled "123_1.vcard" 4 kb

Should I be worried? I did not do anything and have never seen this vcard.

AlanaC1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having this same issue with my MIL's phone and we all got texts about her being removed. I am on the chat with a rep and referenced this forum thread and they have no idea what I am talking about. What is going on?!?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, AlanaC1, thanks for reaching out. What messaging app are you and your family members using for text?

-Lauren

0 Likes
S2S
Enthusiast - Level 1

others receive message my phone number has left the group chat

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to make sure we are able to help out, and would like to clarify this situation. Is this showing up on a particular application? 

~Freddy

0 Likes
Chuck2024
Enthusiast - Level 1

Both myself and my daughter received identical texts from 588-938-9362 notifying us that my other daughter's number as Family: has left the group. We all use different Android phones, all on Verizon. All regular and grp texting seems to continue to work fine. No other issues just these strange msgs. I believe we all use different apps for msging too, not Message+.